Prof. Perry to Lecture in France

Professor Bliss Perry, professor of English literature in the University, has been appointed Harvard lecturer at the University of Paris for the year 1909-10. Professor Perry has not yet announced the definite date of his departure, but he will probably sail before next October.

Owing to the success of the French lectureships established by Mr. J. H. Hyde '98, of New York, at the University and elsewhere in the United States, Mr. Hyde offered in 1904 to found a similar course at the Sorbonne on American literature and institutions. The University of Paris accepted the offer, with the understanding that the course was to be made permanent if it was successful the first year. Professor Barrett Wendell '77 was the first American lecturer, spending the year 1904-05 at the Sorbonne and other French universities, where he lectured on "American Literature, Manners, Customs and Institutions." Professor Wendell's course was so successful that the lectureship was established permanently. It was filled in 1905-06 by Professor G. Santayana '86, and in 1906-07 by Professor A. C. Coolidge '87. Professor G. P. Baker '87 is the lecturer for the current year.