DR. KING'S FOURTH LECTURE

Described the Ethical Teachings of Parables in Matthew and Luke.

The fourth of the Noble lectures on "The Ethics of Jesus" was delivered last evening in the Fogg Lecture Room by Rev. H. C. King, D.D., LL.D., president of Oberlin College. The special subject was "The Estimate of the Ethical Teaching in the Sayings of Jesus Peculiar to Either Matthew or Luke."

The peculiar teachings of Jesus found in Matthew or Luke are best represented in their peculiar parables. In the parables of Matthew the most noteworthy ethical truth is Jesus's plea for considering temperament and final issue, as set forth in the parable of the two sons.

In Luke the peculiar parables are much more numerous and striking. Dr. King divides the parables, of which there are 18, into two groups: the parables of grace and the parables of warning. In the passages of grace God is represented as kind and forgiving, rejoicing in the repentance of the sinner.

Among the passages of warning contained in Luke are the parables of the chief seats, of the unrighteous steward, and of the barren fig tree. From these should be drawn the ethical truths of humility and watchfulness.

The fifth of the Noble lectures will be given by Dr. King in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Museum tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock. His special subject will be "Jesus's Conception of the Basic Qualities of Life; a Study of the Beatitudes."