AMERICAN ARTISTIC IDEALS

Compared with Present German Standards in Lecture Last Night.

Herr Alfred W. von Heymel, editor for the Insel Publishing Company of Germany, delivered a lecture last evening in Emerson Hall under the auspices of the Deutscher Verein on "Deutsche und Amerikanische Kuensterliche Kultur."

He dwelt principally on the fact that wealthy Americans too often spend their money in importing old paintings, often imitations, while they ought rather to encourage their own artists and the splendid enthusiasm with which young Americans are inspired. In Germany too much stress is laid on the value of older men, but in America the optimistic belief prevails that to competent youth should go positions of trust and honor.

In the desire to make money Americans have forgotten to develop their culture. They are copying the customs and adopting the traditions of Europe while they should be training the native artistic sense by keeping at home those artists who are now flocking to Europe in search of a "congenial atmosphere."

Herr von Heymel ended his lecture with a plea to students in American universities and colleges, and particularly in Harvard, to remember that the living exist for the living, and that it is the duty of art lovers in this country to encourage and assist artists to seize the splendid opportunities which America holds out to them.