ENTRANCE EXAMINATIONS.

The chairman of the Committee on Admission has suggested in his report to the President that the regular Harvard entrance examinations in June be abandoned, and that those conducted by the College Entrance Examination Board be substituted. Such a change could not fail to be of great advantage to the University, for the present system is much too restrictive and old-fashioned for modern use. To get into Harvard now, it is necessary to go to a school where the special subjects required are taught, and to decide on this College a long time in advance, in order to take the studies needed for admission. For boys of limited incomes who ordinarily go to high schools, such a course is exceedingly disadvantageous. If they attend the ordinary high school of this country, they may get an exceedingly good education, but not one of the Harvard kind. If they are entered in a school which happens to teach the Harvard subjects, they cannot wait until the last year before making up their minds to come here, but must spend their whole course working up the necessary studies.

By adopting the system of the College Entrance Examination Board most of these difficulties would be done away with, and the educational standards of the University would not be lowered. These examinations are broad in scope and amply test the applicant's general knowledge, without requiring the peculiar courses necessary under our present method.