FINANCIAL STATEMENT

Explanation of Mr. Thompson's Report.--Large Surplus in 1907-08.

The table of athletic figures for last year, published in the adjoining column, shows numerous variations from the table of the preceding year, which is published for purposes of comparison. The first item, "Care of Buildings and Grounds," is considerably greater than in 1905-06, due to the fact that the cost of painting the Stadium has been transferred to this account. Expenses on the general account are also larger because of certain increases in salaries and of the maintenance of two extra hockey rinks. Increase in receipts may be attributed to the interest account and collection of outstanding bills. Permanent improvements include chiefly the cost of building 16 new tennis courts, and the continual constructing with cinders of the road within the iron fence round Soldiers Field.

The improved showing in the baseball account is due entirely to an increase of $2613.61 in receipts. The University Boat Club saved $500 on repairs to the "John Harvard", but the amount spent for shells and oars shows a substantial increase, due to the fact that the University crew needed two eight-oared shells. The increase in receipts under this account is explained by the fact that the railroad companies allowed the Association ten cents more on each seat sold than every before. Collections from the student body were very much less than in 1905-06.

The University Football Association cut down expenses enormously, but receipts were also much smaller, due to the fact that the Yale game was played at Cambridge. In the track account the same fact explains the poorer showing.

As was to be expected, the two boat clubs were not self supporting. Their only source of revenue is locker fees, and these are wholly insufficient to meet the expense necessary to the usefulness of the club houses.

Minor sports were again unable to support themselves, hockey and tennis being the only ones to finish the year with a credit balance. The Freshman baseball, basketball, and lacrosse teams were self-supporting, but the whole balance for Freshman sports shows that they are behind $1539.09.