SUCCESSFUL CARNIVAL

Results of Saturday's Meet.--Mt. Auburn Street Broke Relay Record.

The finals of the third annual winter track carnival were held Saturday afternoon, the field events taking place in the Hemenway Gymnasium and the track events on the board track on Holmes Field. The holding of the trials on Friday had greatly reduced the number of competitors, with the result that the events were run off quickly and without the usual uninteresting elimination heats. The relay race, in which only three teams were entered, was won by the Mt. Auburn street team, which set a new record. Cups were awarded to those winning first and second places and to the members of the winning relay team, who will also retain for the ensuing year the shield offered by the Track and Field Club.

The 40-yard dash was the first event and four men with heavy handicaps soon qualified for the finals. In a very close finish C. F. Averill '12 won from the 15-foot mark in 4 3-5 seconds. In the finals of the 45-yard high hurdles, O. M. Chadwick '11, with 12 feet handicap, led almost to the finish, but W. M. Rand '09 passed him just at the tape, winning in the fast time of 6 seconds, equalling the record.

In the 2-mile cross-country run to Porter Station and back, a large field started and considerable confusion resulted at the finish, as the runners came one by one on the track for the seven laps which were necessary to complete the distance. R. H. Rowse '12, with a handicap of 1 minute, finished in 12 minutes, 56 2-5 seconds, with W. F. Ryan '11, with the same handicap, second.

The half-mile run soon turned into a four-cornered race between R. W. Boyden '11, R. Warren '10, E. H. Ruch '10, and G. W. Ryley '10. These four men stayed together from the quarter-mile mark, but on the last lap the handicap proved too great for Ryley to overcome, and the other three finished ahead of him, in 2 minutes, 10 3-5 seconds.

The 45-yard low hurdles furnished the closest finish of the meet. R. C. Foster '11, starting from the three-foot mark, finished barely a foot ahead of Rand, who in turn won from T. S. Blumer '10 by inches.

Six men qualified for the finals in the 260-yard dash and a close race resulted, in which there were several collisions on the corners. L. H. Baker '11, G. E. Morrison '12, H. H. Heath '11, and F. Fallon '10 came to the last corner together, but Baker fell just before the tape, with the other men finishing in the good time of 32 seconds.

The best track event was the three-cornered, 6-man relay race between the Mt. Auburn street, Westmorly and Miscellaneous teams, all the other entries having dropped out. As the lead continually changed, this race was extremely close and exciting, and 4 4-5 seconds were cut from the record made last year. Rand, running first for the Miscellaneous, gave his team a good lead. A. L. Besse '10 put Westmorly ahead; in the next relay, A. D. Piper '09 gave the Miscellaneous team the lead again; and in the fifth relay, H.W. Kelley '11 won the race for the Mt. Auburn street team when he gave E. K. Merrihew '10 the lead of 5 yards, which he held to the finish.

Meanwhile, in the Gymnasium, the field events had been run off. S. B. Comstock sC., with 4 feet handicap, won the 16-pound shot-put with a distance of 42 feet, 1-2 inch, with J.P. Long '11 second. S.C. Lawrence '10, with 3 inches handicap, won the high jump with an actual jump of 5 feet 8 inches, and W.K. Royal sL won the 12-pound novice shotput with a put of 47 feet 7 1-4 inches.

Summary of the Events.

40-yard dash, semi-finals. First heat--Won by C. F. Averill '12, 15 ft. Time--4 4-5s. Second heat--Won by H. N. Witt '12, 12 ft. Time--4 3-5s. Third heat--Won by J. Higgins '11, 15 ft. Time--4 3-5s. Fourth heat--Won by A. M. Osgood '11, 13 ft. Time--4 3-5s. Final heat--won by C. F. Averill '12, 15 ft.; second, J. Higgins '11, 15 ft.; third, H. N. Witt '12, 12 ft. Time--4 3-5s.

260-yard run, novice, semi-finals. First heat--Won by F. Fallon '10; second, H. H. Heath '11. Time--31 4-5s. Second heat--Won by G. E. Morrison '12; second, L. H. Baker '11. Time--32 4-5s. Final heat--Won by G. E. Morrison '12; second, H. H. Heath '11; third, F. Fallon '10. Time--32s.

45-yard low hurdles, semi-finals. First heat--Won by W. M. Rand '09, scratch. Time--5 4-5s. Second heat--won by R. C. Foster '11, 3 ft. Time--5 4-5s. Third heat--Won by T. S. Blumer '10, 3 ft. Time--6s. Final heat--Won by R. C. Foster '11, 3 ft.; second, W. M. Rand '09, scratch; third, T. S. Blumer '10, 3 ft. Time 5 3-5s.

45-yard high hurdles, trial heats. First heat--Won by W. M. Rand '09, scratch; second, A. D. Piper '09, 10 ft. Time--6 1-5s. Second heat--Won by O. M. Chadwick '11, 12 ft.; second, J. P. Long '11, 3 ft. Time--6 1-5s. Third heat--Won by A. L. Besse '10, 4 ft. Time--6 1-5s. Fourth heat--Won by A. R. Dupont '12, 15 ft. Time--6 1-5s. Semifinals: first heat--Won by W. M. Rand '09, scratch; second, O. M. Chadwick '11, '12 ft. Time--6 1-5s. Second heat--Won by A. R. Dupont '12, 15 ft.; second, A. L. Besse '10, 4 ft. Time--6 1-5s. Heat for second men--Won by O. M. Chadwick '11, 12 ft. Time--6 2-5s. Final heat--Won by W. M. Rand '09, scratch; second, O. M. Chadwick '11, 12 ft.; third, A. R. Dupont '12, 15 ft. Time--6s.

Half-mile run, final heat--Won by R. W. Boyden '11, 15 yds.; second, R. Warren '10, 15 yds.; third, E. H. Ruch '10, 20 yds. Time--2m. 10 3-5s.

2-mile cross-country run--Won by R. N. Rowse '12, 1m.; second, W. R. Ryan '11, 1m.; third, H. Bradley '12, 1m. Time--12m. 56 2-5s.

Dormitory relay race--Won by Mt. Auburn street: C. C. Little '10, R. I. Lothrop '09, A. R. Dupont '12, F. F. Field '11, H. W. Kelley '11, E. K. Merrihew '10; second, Miscellaneous: W. M. Rand '09, G. C. Adams '10, G. R. Harding '11, A. D. Piper '09, A. M. Osgood '11, R. C. Foster '11; third, Westmorly: C. O. Mason '10, N. W. Hopkins '12, A. L. Besse '10, H. Rogers '10, F. P. Ferguson '10, L. Watson '10. Time--3m. 9 2-5s.

Running high jump, handicap--Won by S. C. Lawrence '10, 3 in., 5 ft. 11 in.; second, P. Smith '11, 4 in., 5 ft. 8 in.; third, J. Wheelwright '10, 1 in., 5 ft. 7 in.

Putting 16-pound shot, handicap--Won by S. B. Comstock sC., 4 ft., 42 ft. 1-2 in.; second, J. P. Long '11, 6 ft., 41 ft. 4 1-2 in.; third, C. C. Little '10, scratch, 41 ft. 1 in.

Putting 12-pound shot, novice--Won by W. K. Royal sL., 47 ft. 7 1-4 in.; second, H. C. Blanchard '09, 45 ft. 6 1-2 in.; third, J. P. Long '11, 44 ft. 6 1-2 in