SCHOLARS' FIRST RECEPTION

Given by Boston Harvard Club a Success.--Honorary Degrees Conferred.

The first reception and smoker, given by the Harvard Club of Boston to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and to the first and second group scholars of the University, at the Hotel Somerset, Boston, last evening was a great success. Unfortunately Major Henry Lee Higginson '55, president of the club was unavoidably prevented from being present. In his absence I. T. Burr '79, vice-president of the club, presided and introduced Dean L. B. R. Briggs '75 as toastmaster. Of the four speakers, Rev. S. M. Crothers h.'99 represented the graduates, Professor Bliss Perry the Faculty, and A. G. Cable '09, and H. von Kaltenborn '09 the graduating class. In addition, Robert Grant '73 and R. E. Rogers '09 read original verses written for the occasion.

Professor Perry, the first speaker of the evening, after telling a number of amusing anecdotes, congratulated the scholars in behalf of the Faculty. The Faculty, it must be remembered, gave you these "A's" and "B's", and it realizes that it is not chance and accident, but honest work that has earned this praise. No one is so proud and so glad as the Faculty who know you best and whose only hope is that in after-life, winning or losing, you may find friends by your side.

A. G. Cable '09 spoke of the opporbrium on scholarship which unquestionably existed or had existed. If such marks of interest as the present occasion had been more frequent, the Faculty would not have had to ask a College committee to investigate this evil. As a reason, it seemed evident that when all interest was devoted to athletics, scholarship should be left out. Undergraduates, however, are coming to realize more and more the close relation between vigorous effort in College and success in after-life. This is the attitude which will do away with any opprobrium.

Robert Grant '73 then read a poem contrasting athletic glory in undergraduate life with scholarly glory in after-life. He began by satirizing the undergraduate's attitude in regard to athletics and scholarship, and closed by citing the tremendous power which the trained mind has in the world.

H. von Kaltenborn '09 closed a very amusing address in which he quoted humorous anecdotes in regard to the relations between instructor and instructed, by saying that the scholar's real merit was not what he had done, but what he might do, not that he had won high marks but that he had laid the foundation for things really worth while.

Rev. S. M. Crothers h. '99 made the final speech of the evening. He advocated a newly planned graduate school for the purpose of retrogressive re-education for men who had obtained the degree of Ph.D. His plans were to have these men met by Freshman advisors and conducted through a course of re-education. Men who knew everything about subjects which nobody else knew anything about would be taught to think like other people. In this way they might at the end of a full course, be turned out youths of promise who were, indeed, likely to fulfill that promise.

After the speeches O. D. Roberts '86 presented the scholars of the first and second groups with congratulatory degrees in memory of the occasion, signed by Major Higginson