REVIEW OF SPRING FOOTBALL

Squad Drilled in Fundamental Points of Game In Past Three Weeks.

The last spring football practice was held yesterday afternoon. For the past three weeks the squad has been drilled systematically in the fundamental points of the game. Coach Haughton and Captain Fish have been assisted by C. D. Daly '01, H. E. Kersburg '07, B. Moore '08, and other graduates, in addition to a number of Seniors. Each coach had charge of a certain squad, drilling the men in some special point.

The first week was spent in light practice to get the squad into condition. Special attention was given to falling on the ball, starting, passing and tackling the dummies. At the beginning of the next week the whole squad was divided into four scrub teams with regular captains and coaches. Certain plays were given the teams, and the first scrub game was played on April 7. For the first few days the games were short, but they were gradually made longer; yesterday the scrimmage lasted 45 minutes. The practice during the past week was some-what hindered by the failure of several men to report. In all sixty-nine men have reported, and of these, fifty-two reported regularly.

Spring practice is valuable not only because the candidates learn a great deal of football, but also because they get in touch will the coaching system. The coaches, also, learn to know the men and can estimate the worth of the available material. In the fall the coaches cannot devote their time to individual coaching; they must work to perfect a machine. In the spring, however, there are a great many coaches who spend their time watching the different candidates.

Only a few of the members of last fall's team who will return next fall have reported regularly. Of the new material the following have shown promise of becoming valuable men: ends, D. V. O'Flaherty '10, F. C. Paine '12, H. A. Rogers '11; tackles, H. K. Bush '11, H. Hooper '10; guard, R. T. Fisher '12; centres, F. A. Forster '10, F. D. Huntington '12; quarterback, E. P. Pierce, Jr., '12; backs, T. Frothingham, Jr., '12, G. E. Morrison '12. Throughout the practice these men have shown speed, accuracy in handing the ball, and aggressiveness in play.

Team B Defeated Team A Yesterday.

Yesterday the practice was listless and slow. Teanis A and B lined up for a 45-minute scrimmage in which team B scored one touchdown. The forward pass, which has been developed during the practice, was given several trials. Captain Fish played part of the game at fullback on team A and strengthened it greatly.

The line-up follows: TEAM A.  TEAM B. F. deH. Houston, l.e.  r.e., O'Flaherty Garrett, Robinson, l.t.  r.t., Hooper Blodgett, l.g.  r.g., Sussdorff Forster, Bowers, c.  c., Davis Stowe, r.g.  l.g., Brock Park, r.t.  l.t., Vold Rogers, r.e.  l.e., Paine Pierce, q.b.  q.b., Galatti Witmer, l.h.b.  r.h.b., MacDonald Wiel, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Morrison Burrage, Fish, f.b.  f.b., Tryon