MEDICAL SCHOOL IN CHINA

The project of establishing a Harvard school of medicine in the Orient cannot fail to awaken the enthusiasm of anyone interested in the extension of the University's influence throughout the world. Harvard's prestige in foreign countries is already very great, as is shown by the list of students enrolled here, but there is still much room to spread and strengthen her reputation and fame. In Europe her lecturers have been received with the greatest respect as representing the highest type of American learning; in the Far East her influence has been felt through the representatives of the Harvard Mission. China has shown her trust in American education and in this University by sending many students to Cambridge, and it seems particularly fitting for Harvard to take a part in the teaching of medicine in that country.

To make preparations for the proposed school it has been thought necessary to send Dr. Edwards to China this summer, and the Harvard Mission has undertaken to raise as much as possible of the necessary expenses among the graduates and undergraduates. Considered from every possible view-point, we cannot conceive of a philanthropic cause much more worthy of eliciting the hearty support of all Harvard men.