Oxford Crew Defeated Cambridge

In an exciting race on the Thames last Saturday Oxford defeated Cambridge by three and one-half lengths. The time of the winning crew was 19 min., 50 sec. Saturday's race was Oxford's third victory since 1899, when its nine consecutive victories over Cambridge were ended by a defeat. Of the 66 races between the two universities Oxford has won 35 and Cambridge 30, the race in 1877 ending in a dead heat.

At the start Oxford caught the water first and forged ahead, rowing 39 strokes to the minute. The Cambridge stroke responded with a terrific spurt and forced his crew into the lead, but at the half-mile post the two boats were even. Soon after passing this mark Oxford was leading, but again at Hammer-smith Bridge the crews were even. The long and powerful stroke of Oxford now began to tell, and Cambridge dropped back. Twice again Cambridge caught Oxford, once by a splendid spurt at Thorneycroft. At Barnes Bridge, one half-mile from the finish, Oxford was leading by half a length and increasing this lead with every stroke. Oxford crossed the line a winner by three and one-half lengths.

The orders of the crews were:

Oxford--Stroke, Bourne; 7, Kirby; 6, Gillan; 5, Mackinnon; 4, Garton; 3, Gudmore; 2, Barker; bow, Gladstone; cox., Donkin.

Cambridge--Stroke, Stuart; 7, Hornidge; 6, Rocher; 5, Williams; 4, Kitching; 3, Thomson; 2, Swanston; bow, Arbuthnot, cox., Compston.

It is expected that within a few weeks the Oxford crew will decide whether it would race Harvard in the event of a Harvard victory over Yale. It is understood that Yale will not row in England whatever the outcome of the Harvard race. Whether the University crew would make the trip to England if it defeated Yale has not yet been decided.