Review of April Illustrated.

By E. N. Perbin .

The Illustrated Magazine for April is a Gymnasium number. An appeal is sounded--a very earnest and vigorous appeal: "If Harvard undergraduates will show that they want a new gymnasium, and are willing to help provide one, the graduates will to the larger rest....Let us drive the key-bolt home while it is sparkling fire!" This is the spirit of the appeal and it is addressed primarily to the undergraduate body. Will it meet with a response? Will it accomplish its purpose?

The number is interesting, one might almost say sensational. The frontispiece is a perspective and elevation of the "New Gymnasium," designed by Messrs. Putnam & Cox, Boston architects.

The leading article, "Harvard's Gymnasium; a Protest and a Plean," by Messrs. Sammons and Smith, is a clear and practical statement of the whole case. These are seven admirable illustrations, besides an elevation and ground plan of the new gymnasium, a table of the comparative sizes of American college gymnasiums, detailed statistics, etc. Nothing important or interesting seems to have been omitted. The "New Gymnasium,"so long a necessity, has at last become a reality.

Dr. Sargent, director of the Hemenway Gymnasium, in "The Growth of the Gymnasium," adds the weight of his authority to the new enterprise. He traces the development of gymnastics in Cambridge, explains fully what has been accomplished in the past, emphasizes the importance of a swimming tank, and suggests definite improvements for the gymnasium of the future. There are also namable special articles, with photographs, by Captain Currier, Captain Rand, Captain Fishg, Captain Cutler and Coach Wray.

"The Trouble at Memorial," by O. G. Mayer '09, is a full and careful study of the vicissitudes in the history of the dining hall. Mr. Mayer is opposed to student management. He believes, however, in "the possibility of a complete rehabilitation of our commons." "The committee management recently inaugurated has great possibilities, and should be made permanent."

"A Laboratory of Journalism" recurs to the proposal of the Illustrated editor, as outlined in the March number, that Harvard establish a daily newspaper in Boston and conduct it as a school of journalism. Three writers, including Hammond Lament, editor of "The Nation," discuss this rather daring proposal in an intelligent and friendly spirit.

Some brief book reviews complete a number of quite exceptions interest and enterprise.