A CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL

More than forty years of domestic peace have healed the wounds left by the Civil War. At the close of the struggle, many who had left Harvard for the front returned to complete their course. Others there were who did not return, but died on the battlefield,--soldiers of the North and soldiers of the South. Memorial Hall was built as a tribute to the gallantry of those who fell fighting for the Union. Probably a greater number left Harvard to join Confederate ranks than fought in the war with Spain. Would it not be a fitting token of the cessation of strife and the knitting of severed bonds to establish a memorial to those sons of Harvard, no less her sons for having joined battle against the majority of their classmates?

The University receives numerous gifts, from which a sum might be devoted to a small number of scholarships for Southern students. An appropriation for such a purpose would not only provide a lasting memorial to soldiers who died for the right as they saw it, but would tend to increase the Southern representation which the University so sadly lacks.