Hard Practice for Crews Yesterday

Yesterday afternoon the University crews took a long row down to the Union Boat Club and back. W. R. Severance '09, who has been rowing in a double-scull since his return to College on March 29, has been pronounced sound by Dr. Ladd, and yesterday he went out at No. 5 in the second crew, Smith replacing Loring at No. 3.

First 1912 Crew Wins Race in Basin.

Later in the afternoon the three crews composing the Freshman squad raced up-stream over the mile and seven-eighths course in the basin. The second crew was given a start of a length over the first, and the third was given a length and a half over the second. At the finish the first crew was about ten lengths ahead of the third, and the third half a length ahead of the second. The first crew passed the other two halfway between the start at the Union Boat Club and the Harvard Bridge, and from here the race developed into a struggle between the second and third. As Smith was again out of the first crew on account of illness, Leslie went in at No. 4 and the men were changed back to their old order. Kempton replaced Voorhees as coxswain. After the race Leslie was taken on to the training table.