A GREAT TRACK VICTORY.

It is a difficult task to express in cold print our appreciation of the University track team's magnificent work on Soldiers Field last Saturday. The results of the trials on Friday made us rather optimistic, but somehow we could not quite believe that the intercollegiate championship would really be won. But from the very beginning of the afternoon on Saturday, it was apparent that Harvard was making the best showing, and most of the time a comfortable lead was maintained. In several events the University team did better than anyone would have expected, and throughout, the performances were uniformly excellent. After such a discouraging season, it is particularly gratifying to see a team keep up its spirit and win against opponents who were rated far better at the beginning of the year.

Among other things, the victory showed that Harvard has two of the best track coaches in the country. We knew all along that Coach Quinn would develop some good men in the field events, but Coach Donovan had never been in charge of a Harvard track team before this spring. The result is as much of a triumph for him as for the members of the team, for without a good coach it is certain that no such good showing would have been made. It is encouraging to know that both coaches and most of the men on the team will be back next year, and if a captain can be found to match Captain Rand for all around ability, next season's record should be even better than the one made this spring.