TRACK CHAMPIONSHIP WON

Records Broken in Mile, Two-Mile and Pole-Vault.

The University track team won an overwhelming victory in the thirty-fourth annual meet of the Intercollegiate. Association of Amateur Athletes of America, held in the Stadium Saturday afternoon. Harvard's total of 39 1-10, points was greater than even the most sanguine had predicted. Yale was second with 25 7-10 points, and Pennsylvania and Cornell had a close struggle for third place with 22 1-2 and 20 1-2 respectively. Michigan, the only other college to score any considerable number of points, took fifth place with 14. The other points were divided as follows: Princeton, 7; Haverford, 3; Swarthmore, 3; Syracuse, 3; Dartmouth, 2 1-5; Columbia, 2; Brown, 1.

Three New Records Made.

Although Harvard secured the majority of points, three other colleges had the satisfaction of setting new records. The most extraordinary performance of the day was the running of Taylor of Cornell in the two-mile. His time of 9 minutes, 27 3-5 seconds, is not only a new I. C. A. A. A. A. and collegiate record, but is the best amateur performance ever made in America. The former record was 9 minutes, 34 4.5 seconds, made by Rowe of Michigan in 1907. Almost as wonderful was the time made by Paull of Pennsylvania in the one-mile run. He set a new I. C. A. A. A. A. and collegiate mark by running the distance in 4 minutes, 17 4-5 seconds, breaking the record made by Haskins of Pennsylvania two years ago by 2 4-5 seconds. The other new record was made in the polevault by Campbell of Yale who cleared 12 feet, 3 1-4 inches, thus beating the mark of 12 feet 1 1-8 inches, set by himself and five others in the preliminaries Friday. In several other events, records were closely approached. The half-mile was won by Beck of Pennsylvania in 1 minute, 56 3-5 seconds, 3-5 of a second behind the record held by Parsons of Yale. With better weather conditions a full second would probably have been cut off of the time in this event. Howe of Yale ran the 120-yard hurdles in 15 2-5 seconds, 1-5 of a second behind the time made by Shaw of Dartmouth last year. Talbott of Cornell was unable to reach his own mark of 167 feet, 4 inches, in the hammer-throw, but nevertheless made one of the best throws in recent intercollegiate meets with 158 feet, 9 1-2 inches. In the shot-put Little of Harvard, came within 3 1-2 inches of the record made by Krueger of Swarthmore two years ago. His put of 46 feet, 2 inches, is next to Krueger's the best ever made in an intercollegiate meet. Aside from the record-breakers the stars of the meet were Foster of Harvard, who won both the dashes, and Howe of Yale, who took first in both hurdle races.

Performances of University Team.

The University team was far more evenly balanced than any of the others and scored in nine out of the 13 events. In four events two or more men won points for the team. Surprising strength was shown in the field events, in which 14 1-10 points were scored. With very few exceptions the Harvard men were at their best. R. C. Foster '11 won both the 100 and 220-yard dashes, decisively defeating Dawbarn of Princeton, who had been mentioned as a possible winner. L. Watson '10 qualified for the finals in the 220-yard dash and added the final point to Harvard's score by taking fourth in the last event of the day. The 440-yard run was in one way a disappointment, but in another an agreeable surprise. E. K. Merrihew '10 fell at the end of the race and F. M. de Selding '10 failed to score. But even with these mishaps Harvard secured 6 points, as T. S. Blumer '10 by a superb effort took first place and H. W. Kelley '10 refused to be beaten for fourth. The University team was unrepresented in the 880-yard and one-mile runs as no one qualified for the former and the entries in the latter were scratched. It was decided to enter H. Jaques, Jr., '11 in the two-mile run and for a time it looked as if he might win it. He had two older and more experienced runners against him, however, and although he ran by far the fastest race of his life, he was out-classed and only secured third. Captain W. M. Rand '09 scored in both hurdle races, winning 3 points. He defeated Talcott of Cornell for third place in the high hurdles and took fourth in the low hurdles. G. P. Gardner, Jr., '10 again pushed Howe of Yale to his limit in the low hurdles, and as in the dual games was beaten only by reason of the latter's wonderful strength at the finish. J. L. Barr '10 cleared 12 feet in the pole-vault, but as both he and Nelson of Yale failed to equal Campbell's vault of 12 feet, 3 1-4 inches, the result was a tie for second. The points for second and third were divided giving Harvard 2 1-2. The University team was shutout in the hammer-throw and the broad-jump as no men qualified in Friday's preliminaries. In the high-jump, however, Harvard unexpectedly scored more points than in any other event. By tieing for first place with Canfield of Yale and Palmer of Dartmouth, R. G. Harwood '09, S. C. Lawrence '10, and R. P. Pore '10 added 6 3-5 points. The height, 5 feet, 11 1-4 inches, was the best performance to date for all three men. The remaining 5 points were won by C. C. Little '10 in the shot-put. He defeated Krueger of Swarthmore, the intercollegiate record holder and champion for the past two years, for first place.

The Track Events.

Immediately after the semi-final heats of the 100-yard dash and the 120-yard hurdles the contestants lined up for the one-mile run. Harvard was not represented, as it had been decided to enter Jaques in the two-mile instead. Consequently all eyes were turned upon Paull, of Pennsylvania, and McGee, of Princeton, as the most likely winners. For the first quarter Paull allowed his team-mate Tyson to set the pace. With McGee and Laird of Princeton and Coney of Yale he followed just behind the pace-maker. At the end of the first lap, however, Paull stepped into the lead, and from that time until the finish was never headed or even approached. For a while the two Princeton runners tried to hold the pace, but at the half mile Paull led by twenty yards, McGee was running alone in the second position, while between him and Coney were two Michigan men, Tower and May. On the third lap the Michigan runners began to close up, and at the three-quarters had passed McGee. Paull continued to run entirely alone forty yards ahead and finished the race in a splendid sprint that seemed to cause him no effort. McGee managed to regain third place at the beginning of the last lap and on the final stretch made a desperate effort that brought him second place ahead of Tower. May retained his lead over Coney and finished fourth.

The final heat of the 440-yard run was the next event. Harvard's chances looked bright with four men on the line at the start. As the men neared the turn Merrihew, who had the pole, deSelding, and Kelly were in the front rank with Palmer of Haverford and Leger of Michigan. Blumer was badly boxed and had a hard time keeping on his feet. Coming around the straightaway Palmer, Leger and Merrihew had the best positions. The track was crowded, however, and in the fight for places Merrihew was thrown from his balance and fell headlong fifteen yards from the finish. At the very end of the race Blumer found an opening, and by powerful and desperate running threw himself across the tape ahead of Palmer. Leger and Kelley held their positions ahead of deSelding and the two Cornell men and took third and fourth respectively. If fewer men had been in the race the time would probably have been faster as there would have been less crowding.

The second semi-final heat of the 120-yard hurdles came very near being a surprise. Howe got a bad start and ran third for most of the distance. Hartranft of Pennsylvania led all the way and won in 15 4-5 seconds. Dwight of Princeton held second place until the last hurdle, when Howe overhauled him. In the race for the tape Howe won by inches. Piper of Harvard was fourth. The first heat was somewhat similar, as Rand was behind Robbins of Yale for the first part of the race. Talcott of Cornell won the heat with Rand second. The finals found all four men in their best form. Hartranft led at first, but was passed by Howe a safe distance from the end. Rand beat out Talcott for third place.

The heats of the 100-yard dash disclosed an unexpected rival for first place in Craig of Michigan. He won his heat from Dawbarn of Princeton in 10 seconds, the same time made by Foster in the second heat. Kelley of Williams shut out Hawley of Dartmouth, McArthur of Cornell, and Burch of Yale by taking third in the first heat. Minds of Pennsylvania and Gamble of Princeton were the others to qualify, keeping Geary of Fordham and Blass of Cornell out of the finals. The anxiously awaited race between Foster of Harvard and Dawbarn of Princeton in the final heat resulted in an emphatic victory for the former. Dawbarn finished only fourth and Craig was Foster's nearest competitor for first. Minds led for the first few yards but could not do better than third.

Brilliant Work in Half and Two-Mile.

The two-mile run brought together a large field including Jaques of Harvard and Dull, the Michigan captain, besides several men from Michigan captain, besides several men from Michigan and Cornell of whom little was known. At the very start the Michigan runners took the leading positions. For the first three-quarters of a mile Hall, West and Dull, all of Michigan, ran in that order. Lightner of Yale was in fourth place, with Taylor of Cornell and Jaques several yards behind. On the fourth lap the first important change occurred when Taylor moved up into the lead. For a while Lightner of Yale took the lead, but when the final race for positions began he dropped rapidly behind. Early in the last lap Taylor began to sprint, Dull doggedly holding his position a few yards behind. At the same time Jaques began his final spurt, but the leaders never slackened, although it seemed impossible to keep up such a fast pace till the end. Instead of weakening, however, Taylor even increased his speed on the final stretch and crossed the line in splendid form. Dull ran far under the former record and was a close second. Jaques's time was the best he has ever made for the distance.

The half-mile run was another event in which the University team did not take part. Beck and Paull, the two Pennsylvania runners, had things all their own way and took the first two places. Paull seemed perfectly fresh, notwithstanding his record-breaking race in the mile earlier in the day. In all probability he could have beaten Beck and established another record, but he made no attempt to take better than second. On the final stretch he carefully gauged the distance between himself and French of Cornell, taking care to keep just out of reach. French in turn was in no danger of losing his position to Spitzer of Yale, who finished fourth.

As a result of the semi-finals of the 220-yard hurdles, Harvard was assured of two places. Gardner took second to Hartranft in the first heat, and Rand just beat out Craig for second in the other heat, which was won by Howe. The final heat was almost a repetition of the race at New Haven two weeks ago. Gardner led for part of the distance, but lost time in clearing the hurdles. On the last hurdle Howe secured a lead that gave him the race by the narrowest of margins. Hartranft and Rand had a close contest for third, the former prevailing.

Harvard could have won the meet without scoring in the 220-yard dash, but that detracted nothing from the interest in the event. Harvard, Princeton, and Pennsylvania had two men each in the final heat. Foster and Dawbarn ran side by side until fifty yards from the end, when the former drew away and won by several yards. Minds was third by a safe margin, and at the tape Watson beat out Gamble and Newell for fourth.

The Field Events.

The shot-put was the first event on the program to be completed. Krueger or Swarthmore was thought to be secure in first place with a distance of 45 feet, 3 1-2 inches, but Little of Harvard on the last of his six chances made the best put of his career, breaking ground 2 inches over the 46 foot mark. Krueger had one trial left in which to regain his position, but he fell short by a considerable distance. Horner of Michigan and Talbott of Cornell both improved upon their Friday's performances, but their relative positions remained unchanged. Coy of Yale stayed in fifth place.

All five of the high-jumpers did better than on the day before and cleared 5 feet, 11 1-4 inches. As no one could clear the next height, 6 feet, 1-2 inch, the 11 points were divided, giving 2 1-5 to each man.

The first two places in the hammer-throw came out as was expected. Talbott was unable to get off one of his best throws and his distance was only 3 feet, 7 1-2 inches ahead of that made by Horr of Syracuse. Goebel of Yale showed more improvement on the second day than did his team-mate Andrus and defeated sullivan of Cornell for third by 2 feet, 5 1-2 inches.

The relative standing in the broad jump underwent considerable change Saturday. Mayhew of Brown, who was first on Friday, ended in fourth place, and Nixon of Cornell dropped from second to fifth. Kilpatrick of Yale, who was in fifth place Friday, jumped 22 feet, 3-4 inch, and held first place until the last round, when Cook of Cornell won with a jump of 22 feet, 6 1-4 inches. Kilpatrick narrowly escaped being defeated for second place by Babcock of Columbia, whose best jump was 22 feet, 1-4 inch.

Campbell Broke Pole-Vault Record.

The record in the pole-vault was again raised, this time to 12 feet, 3 1-4 inches. In every intercollegiate meet for a number of years the record in this event has been beaten and it is hardly likely that the present mark will remain for any length of time. Of the six men who cleared 12 feet, 1 1-8 inches, Friday, Campbell of Yale was the only one to reach the new mark. Nelson of Yale failed to repeat his performance of the dual meet and tied with Barr of Harvard at 12 feet. Cook of Cornell and Pickles of Pennsylvania were not so fortunate as the day before and dropped out after 11 feet, 6 inches, tieing for fourth place.

The summary:

Track Events.

100-YARD DASH.

First semi-final heat--Won by R. C. Craig (M.); second, W. L. Dawbarn (P.); third, A. L. Kelley, Jr., (W.). Time, 10s.

Second semi-final heat--Won by R. C. Foster (H.); second, G. W. Minds (P.); third, R. A. Gamble (Pr.). Time, 10s.

Final heat--Won by R. C. Foster (H.); second, R. C. Foster (H.); second, R. C. Craig (M.); third, G. W. Minds (P.); fourth, W. L. Dawbarn (Pr.). Time, 10 1-5s.

220-YARD DASH.

First semi-final heat--Won by R. C. Foster (H.); second, E. C. Newell (P.); third, R. A. Gamble (Pr.). Time. 22 3-5s.10HOWE PASSING GARDNER IN THE LOW HURDLES.