Dr. Edward Everett Hale '39 Dead

Rev. Edward Everett Hale, D.D. '39, chaplain of the United States Senate, and formerly preacher to the University, died at his home in Roxbury early yesterday morning. Dr. Hale was forced to give up his duties in the Senate a few weeks ago; but as his illness was thought to be of only a temporary nature, his death came as a surprise even to his closest friends.

Edward Everett Hale was born in Boston, April 3, 1822. After studying at the Boston Latin School he entered College and was graduated in 1839 at the age of 17.

He then returned to the Latin School as teacher. During his two years' service there he spent his spare time in studying for the ministry and in reporting for a newspaper run by his father. In 1842 he entered the ministry. His first pastorate was in Worcester, where he remained until 1856, when he received a call from the South Congregational Church of Boston. Here he stayed as preacher until 1903 when he was appointed chaplain to the Senate.

In addition to his other work Dr. Hale was actively connected with several magazines, and he published a number of books and short stories. The best-known of these are "The Man Without a Country," "Ten Times Ten," "Memories of a Hundred Years" and "Modern Achievements."

Dr. Hale received the honorary degree of S.T.D. from the University in 1879. In 1901 he received the degree of LL.D. from Dartmouth, and three years later Williams bestowed the same honor on him. From 1867 to 1877 he was a member of the Board of Overseers of Harvard College and from 1886 to 1888 he was preacher to the University.