YESTERDAY'S GAME.

The baseball team gave proof yesterday of the quality which has been characteristic of it throughout the season--hard fighting. With the score 2 to 0 against them, and with one bad inning behind them, the men were never unsettled; they played hard and fast, and they played to win. Harvard's pitchers were the better and the Harvard team the steadier. In the words of one of the Yale players, "Harvard had the better team, but Yale had the luck to start with"; the element of luck which favored Yale at the outset was counterbalanced by Harvard's luck later. It is a satisfaction to feel that the only earned run of the game was that which gave us the victory. It is also worthy of note that the man who made the hit which brought that run in was playing his first Yale game, that he reached first base four times out of five at the bat, made two hits despite an unnerving injury earlier in the season, and played a perfect game in the field. This is another concrete instance of the spirit with which the team is fired.

With regard to the disappointments of the game--the base-running and the errors--it need only be said that the men were caught off bases by a trick which many umpires would have called a balk, and which came as near as possible to being a balk in the estimation of the umpire who allowed it. The errors were due to the necessity of handling slow balls with almost impossible quickness, and are not to be classed with the errors of omission which go to make stupid playing.

From the spectator's point of view, though the cheering at the game was admirably enthusiastic and truly spontaneous, its organization was far from perfect. Further, the unsportlike jeers and cat-calls on the occasion of our opponent's misplays were beneath contempt; when we talk about the attempts of men of other colleges to rattle pitchers, we should remember that, while we do not professedly organize demonstrations for the purpose, we tolerate many individual offenders.