Results of Intercollegiate Tennis

The intercollegiate tennis championships were held this fall at the Merion Cricket Club, Philadelphia, during the week of September 6.

The University was represented by G. P. Gardner '10, C. S. Cutting '12, H. Nickerson '11, and A. Sweetser '11. In the first round Stevens of Yale defeated Cutting in straight sets, while Gardner easily won from Allinson of Haverford. Gardner and Sweetser came through the second round, winning from Holden of Yale, and Thayer of Pennsylvania, respectively; but Nickerson was defeated by Johnson of Pennsylvania, the winner of the championship. Sweetser alone survived the third round, thereby winning his way into the semi-finals, while Gardner, showing a reversal of form, was defeated by Long, of California, in a three-set match, 6-3, 6-3, 6-1. In the semi-final round Sweetser put up a great fight but was finally beaten by Long after four hard sets, 6-4, 6-8, 6-4, 11-9. In the final round, Johnson won the championship after playing five close sets with Long.

In the doubles Gardner and Sweetser won their, way into the finals but were defeated for the championship by Johnson and Thayer, of Pennsylvania, 7-5, 6-2, 6-2.