HARVARD WON FIRST GAME

Bates Defeated in Loose Game, 11 to 0.--Individual Work Promising.

The University football team opened its season yesterday afternoon in the Stadium by defeating Bates, 11 to 0. The score does not show the real difference between the two teams, as Bates was outclassed in every department of the game. Last year the score of the Bates game was 18 to 0 in favor of Harvard, but as is was played nearly two weeks later in the season the University team was a far more finished and powerful machine. The game, however, was by no means disappointing. There was considerable team work, and element which is very often wanting in the early games, and time and again the runner was pulled along many yards after he seemed to be stopped.

The defence was strong, especially in the second half. The only time Bates gained first down, was by an onside kick which should have been caught by one of the Harvard backs. The line played too high, noticeably the left side, and permitted their opponents to get under them. The lack of scrimmages in practice probably accounts for the fumbling and this should be remedied by the end of the week. The offence was rather erratic, though P. D. Smith was almost always able to gain the required distance.

O'Flaherty at quarterback gave signs of promise but seemed nervous, which was probably responsible for his using such a small number of plays. A more varied attack would undoubtedly have been more effective. He ran the team well, put life into the men, and in almost every case handled the ball cleanly. The back-field was rather erratic, at times too slow in starting, and at other times starting before the ball. They ran hard, though it was more through individual brilliancy then team work, that they made their gains. P. D. Smith, Corbett and Frothingham were the best ground gainers, Smith doing especially well.

The ends showed up very well. The quick shift which was the mainstay of the Bates attack was a good test for them, and both regulars and substitutes were able to solve it. L. D. Smith, G. G. Browne and Houston were fast getting down the field under punts and their tackling was sure and hard. Fisher and McKay played well in the line, the latter helping the end at all times.

The Game In Detail.

Captain Fish won the toss and Harvard received the kick-off at the north end of the field. O'Flaherty ran in the kick-off 12 yards to the 27-yard line. Bates was offside on the first play, and Corbert punted to Bates's 50-yard line. G. G. Browne recovered the ball when Bates fumbled. Corbett failed to gain outside tackle, but P. D. Smith gained fourteen yards through centre. After two line plays, O'Flaherty tried a forward pass, but was tackled before he could get the ball away and fumbled, Keaney recovering the ball for Bates. The wing shift, a play planned to catch the opposing team unprepared, and draw in the end, failed to gain twice and Keaney punted to Corbett on Harvard's 30-yard line. Corbett ran back the punt 20 yards by clever dodging, but on the next play Harvard was penalized for Smith's starting before the ball, and Corbett was forced to punt, the ball going to Bates's 15-yard line where Houston downed the runner without gain. An exchange of punts followed, Corbett sending the ball over Keaney's head and Cummings recovering it for Bates on his own 5-yard line. An onside kick went out of bounds on Bates's 22-yard line. Two rushes by P. D. Smith gained ten yards, Corbett then broke through tackle for three yards, and in two more plays P. D. Smith went over the line. McKay kicked an easy goal. Harvard, 6; Bates, 0.

Bates kicked off to P. D. Smith, who made a sensational run of 50 yards through a broken field. The ball was brought back to Harvard's 10-yard line, however, as Browne was holding. Corbett punted on the first play to Lovely, who ran outside on Harvard's 54-yard line. Two plays gained five yards, McKay stopping the second one before it started. Keaney tried a drop-kick from the 50-yard line, the ball bounding over Harvard's goal line. The ball was put in play again on the 25-yard line and Corbett slipped by tackle for 15 yards before time was called.

The second half opened with R. C. Brown in place of G. G. Browne at right end, and Frothingham in place of Corbett at left half. McKay kicked off to the goal line and Cummings ran the ball back to the 18-yard line. Bates tried two double passes for a 5-yard gain. Keaney sent an onside kick outside on Bates's 39-yard line. Frothingham gained five yards. Huntington replaced Houston. Smith took the ball in the next six plays and was sent over the line directly between the goal posts. McKay missed an easy goal. Before the next kick-off F. H. Leslie replaced his brother at right half, and Forster replaced Fish at right tackle. Bates kicked off to P. D. Smith who ran in 30 yards to Harvard's 38-yard line. On the second play O'Flaherty and Frothingham fumbled, the ball going to Bates. West and Huntington broke up the next two plays, and Keaney tried another drop-kick. O'Flaherty caught the ball and was downed on Harvard's 28-yard line. L. D. Smith replaced R. C. Brown at right end. After two plays Frothingham punted and Cummings fumbled when L. D. Smith tackled him, Forster falling on the ball. P. D. Smith made 25 yards through centre. Bates held Harvard for downs, O'Flaherty using very poor judgment in his selection of plays. Bates fumbled but recovered on the first play on her own 11-yard line. O'Hare replaced West at left guard. Keaney punted outside to Frothingham on Bates's 30-yard line, and Harvard was penalized 15 yards for holding. P. D. Smith went through centre for 13 yards. Loveland was substituted for Carroll at left guard on the Bates team. Frothingham fumbled, the ball going to Bates on her own 35-yard line. Keaney sent away a neat onside kick which carried over P. D. Smith's head and was recovered by Dacey on Harvard's 45-yard line, just as time was called. This was the only first down that Bates gained during the game.

The Summary:

HARVARD.  BATES.Houston, Huntington, l.e.  r.e., McCollisterMcKay, l.t.  r.t., D. AndrewsWest, O'Hare, l.g.  r.g., JacescoWithington, c.  c., BickfordFisher, r.g.  l.g., CarrollFish, Forster, r.t.  l.t., Dacey, LovelandG. G. Browne, R. C. Brown, L. D. Smith, r.e.  l.e., BishopO'Flaherty, q.b  q.b., CummingsCorbett, Frothingham, l.h.b.  r.h.b., DennisH. C. Leslie, F. H. Leslie, r.h.b.  l.h.b., KeaneyP. D. Smith, f.b.  f.b., Lovel