FOUR TIED IN LOW HURDLES

Conclusion of Track and Field Competitions This Afternoon at 4.

The first half of the track and field event competitions held in the Baseball Cage on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon was closely contested. The final of the 30-yard low hurdles was declared a dead heat, as the four contestants were so closely grouped that it was impossible to select a winner. Before this, three trial heats and another for second men had been necessary to select the four men for the final.

J. P. Long '11 won the 30-yard high hurdle race from scratch by a slight margin over J. K. Lewis '11. H. L. Goddard '10 secured the first place in the shot-put from scratch, and L. C. Torrey '12 won the pole-vault.

The summary of the events:

30-yard low hurdles--First heat won by W. P. Browne '11; second, A. Sweetser '11. Second heat won by J. K. Lewis '11; second, R. P. Lewis '13. Third heat won by J. P. Long '11; second, D. A. Park '13. Heat for second men won by A. Sweetser '11. Final heat declared a dead heat between W. P. Browne '11, J. K. Lewis '11, J. P. Long '11, and A. Sweetser '11.

30-yard high hurdles--First heat won by J. K. Lewis '11; second, H. H. Heath '11. Second heat won by J. P. Long '11; second, J. H. Noble '11. Final heat won by J. P. Long '11; second, J. K. Lewis '11; third, J. H. Noble '11.

16-pound shot-put--Won by H. L. Goddard '10; second, R. V. Moody '11; third, F. H. Leslie '12.

Pole-vault--Won by L. C. Torrey '12; second, R. Murray '12; third, W. A. Dennis '11.

Competitions Today.

The second half of the competitions will be held in the Baseball Cage this afternoon commencing at 4 o'clock. The events for today will be the running broad jump, running high jump, standing 56-pound weight throw for distance, standing 56-pound weight throw for height. These events are open to all candidates for the Freshman and University track teams, and in all except one event, the 56-pound weight throw for height, the entries will be handicapped. Entries may be made in the blue-book hung in the Locker Building, or in the Cage at the time of the competition. The final heat of the 30-yard low hurdles will be run over. Cups will be given to the winners of first and second places in each event.