FINALS REACHED IN DOUBLES

Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell Defeated Whitney and Woods, 3 Sets to 2.

The semi-final round of the fall doubles tournament was completed yesterday when J. R. McLane 2L. and E. P. Pearson 2L. defeated A. Tomes '13 and Q. A. S. McKean '13, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, and A. Sweetser '11 and W. B. Fraser-Campbell '11 defeated E. H. Whitney '14 and E. H. Woods '14, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5. McLane and Pearson won with ease.

The Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell vs. Whitney and Woods match was much closer. Whitney and Woods started well and obtained a lead of two games, but Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell braced and evened the score. After obtaining a lead of 5 to 4, Whitney and Woods were within a point of taking the set, but their opponents again succeeded in evening the score, and finally won the set at 7-5.

The second and third sets went to Whitney and Woods, who showed good team play and were very steady at the net, while their opponents made a good many errors. The fourth set showed a reversal of conditions, and Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell were able to pass the other pair several times by hard fore-hand drives down the middle of the court.

The fifth and final set brought out the best tennis of the match. Nearly every set went to deuce and there were several long rallies in which brilliant shots were frequent. The score finally reached five all, when Fraser-Campbell won his service and the vantage game. Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell quickly terminated the match, allowing the losers but two points in the final game.

Both teams played a careful game, and there was little to choose between the two, but Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell won out by greater steadiness at critical points in the match.