NO FRESHMAN TRACK MEET

There has been some comment this fall about the re-arrangement of the track meets which involves doing away with the Freshman games, and excluding "H" men from the handicap meet. The explanation of this change clearly shows its necessity.

The purpose of fall track work is to develop new material, and to bring to the notice of the coaches athletes whose ability has not before come to light. This is the case because "H" men may be expected to look out for themselves as a result of at least one year's experience. Competition is not necessary for the coaches to gauge the value of last year's men. These, moreover, are assured of an opportunity to compete for the larger prizes next spring and have no excuse for feeling slighted by their exclusion from the handicap games. On the other hand, the men who have worked all fall without any guarantee of even making the University or Freshman teams, deserve an opportunity to compete for prizes. The reason for doing away with the Freshman games is that their success and support has steadily dwindled since the fall of 1907, until at present the labor and expense connected with holding this meet seem unnecessary.

The final cause for putting into effect the arrangement indicated as best for the reasons stated, is the necessity of covering the track immediately with extra seats for the final football games.

The fact that there are to be no Freshman games should not deter candidates for the 1914 team from entering the meet. Handicaps will equalize the advantage of experience, and every good performance makes more certain a place on the team.