FACULTY RECEPTION TO 1914.

To the members of the Freshman class it may appear that they are expected to accept an extraordinary amount of information concerning the University to which they have come. There are Faculty and Senior advisers, receptions given by Phillips Brooks House Association and by the Faculty. To the Freshman this may seem much more than is necessary. Life as an undergraduate appears very simple and easy; just live and study a little, that seems to be all.

To live and study a little is very easy and entirely possible, but a view of undergraduate life which considers this enough neglects all ideas of citizenship and of personal development through association with many and different men. Any undergraduate, if he is to get as much out of college as possible, must feel the necessity of doing something more than passing sixteen courses in his four years. There are enough ways of doing this unrequired work, so that every man can suit his own case. Those of academic bent can by getting good marks raise the academic standard. Other men can take part in athletics, still others can work on the various undergraduate publications, and so on ad infinitum.

The purpose of the various kinds of advice offered to Freshmen is to acquaint them with the various fields of activity open before them, and to impress upon them the obligation of taking part in some one or other of these. At the Faculty reception in the Union this evening, President Lowell will address the Freshman class. From him more than any other man can they receive a broad and rounded notion of the meaning and purpose of undergraduate life. The class should be present as a whole to hear him.