IMPORTANT TRACK MEETING

Good Advice from Coaches, Captains and Graduates Given to 120 Men.

A meeting of candidates for the University and Freshman track and cross-country teams was held in the Assembly Room of the Union last evening. At this time 120 men handed in their names.

Captain Foster, the first speaker, emphasized the importance of the fall work. We always know the ability of the veterans, but what is needed to win meets in second string men as well as stars. In the fall, more chance is given for individual coaching, and thereby new material is developed. This applies especially to the Freshmen, for they make the winning University teams of the future. Shrubb will have charge of the cross-country men. All distance men should report to him daily, for such work develops them. Since Freshmen will not be eligible for the University team, a special race will be held for them at the end of the season. Also for men not making the team, a consolation run will be held. Other track men should report in the morning to the coaches in the Stadium. Those that are unable to do so, should report in the afternoon to Coach Quinn, who will assist in the track events, on the field beyond the Stadium. The regular track work will end with the annual fall handicap games on October 28.

Coach Quinn was the next speaker, and addressed himself especially to the Freshmen. Track candidates must keep the fact in mind that they cannot compete next spring if they are on probation. Now, however, work should be begun for the spring. Correct form is important, and this should be learned when there is time. Regular attendance at practice is also another requirement for success.

C. C. Little '10 urged that men should "think seriously, but compete laughing." They should work hard, but take joy in competition. Captain Jaques of the cross-country them then spoke on the work. In this numbers is one of the essentials. Another is spirit. These produce the winning team. Coach Shrubb stated that the prospects for this year are good. This sport is one of the hardest of games, however, and work must be done with a vim to make it a success. Style is very important in order that a man should be able to run miles without tiring himself. Above all things, the candidates for the team should work faithfully to the very end of the season.

W. F. Garcelon L. '95, Graduate Treasurer of Athletics, then spoke on Harvard spirit. This is one of optimism and victory, also one of "making good."