CREWS TO RACE AT 3.30

Final Event of Fall Rowing to be Held over 3 1-2 Mile Course.

This afternoon at 3.30 o'clock the three University crews will wind up the fall rowing season with a handicap race from the Stillman Infirmary to the Union Boat Club, a distance of about three and one-half miles. The third crew will be given a start of 15 seconds over the second eight, which in turn will receive 15 seconds from the University crew. All three crews will cover the whole distance, whether or not one crew is passed by another before the finish.

The orders will be:

University crew--Stroke, Goodale; 7, Cutler; 6, Strong; 5, Metcalf; 4, Newton; 3, Hooper; 2, Balch; bow, Meyer; cox., C. Abeles.

Second crew--Stroke, Davis; 7, Morgan; 6, Stratton; 5, Nelson; 4, Parker; 3, Anderson; 2, Shillito; bow, Wiggins; cox., Voorhees.

Third crew--Stroke, Eager; 7, Beane; 6, Weston; 5, Hoar; 4, Lincoln; 3, Peabody; 2, Sullivan; bow, Cutler; cox., A. Abeles.

Progress of the Crews This Fall.

Fall rowing started this year on Wednesday. October 5, and since that date all three crews have been hard at work. Just one month ago today, Goodale, who had been kept out of the first few days' practice on account of sickness, was put in at stroke, and since then the order of the University crew has remained unchanged. A most encouraging and consistent improvement has followed the work of the crew all through the season, with the possible exception of one or two off days, and it is fair to say that the University crew today is better than last year's eight was at this time. The four veterans of the Yale race last June are rowing one behind the other in the waist of the boat. Although new to the starboard side, Captain Cutler has filled in well at 7, and should be as effective next spring as he has always been on the port side at stroke. At the beginning of the fall rowing the slide work and the proportion of the stroke at the catch and finish was mediocre. Gradually, however, the crew has improved on these lines, and the rowing of the eight is now marked by a good, hard leg-drive and a splendid finish. During the past week Coach Wray has been trying to eliminate a slight tendency to hang, instead of turning around quickly, on the catch. The University crew should undoubtedly win out this afternoon.

The second and third crews have been greatly handicapped this fall by an unfortunate accident to Richardson, stroke of the second eight, in the middle of the season. As Richardson was forced to give up rowing for this fall, many changes were made necessary in the orders of these two crews which greatly retarded their development. For over a week, however, the orders have remained unchanged, and the second eight is now rowing very well and should put up a hard fight this afternoon. It is not expected that the third eight will be able to hold its own against the other two crews, although a surprise is possible.

Several graduates will be the guests of the University crew management in the launches "John Harvard" and "Veritas" at the race this afternoon. Both launches will leave the float promptly at 3.30 o'clock