Review of Dartmouth Season

In spite of its defeat by Princeton, the Dartmouth team comes to Cambridge today with a spirit of determination and a confidence in its ability that is strongly echoed by the student body behind it. Dartmouth men feel that their team possesses a power that has not yet had a fair opportunity to display itself. It is the power that was evidenced in the Colby game, strikingly shown in periods of the Williams game, and brought out with the determination of a strong team following the Princeton touchdown in New York.

Against Colby Dartmouth played first class early football. On the following Saturday Vermont was defeated by the score of 33 to 0. Dartmouth, while necessarily playing good football to win by such a score, displayed little advance over the game of a week before. A week later Williams was defeated by the score of 39 to 0. It is doubtful if a stranger contest was ever played in which splendid strength and decided weakness were shown by the same team. Coached to play high and diagnose the opponents' attack, the Dartmouth line was frequently pushed backward for long gains by the low-charging Williams' linemen. It is also true that the score does not nearly portray the relative strength of the two teams, as Williams was by no means weak, but the possibilities of the new game were never better shown. In New York Dartmouth met what is considered by many to be the best team Princeton has developed since 1903. Nervousness and a wide-awake team that was ever ready to take advantage of every sign of it, worked greatly against the Dartmouth players. However, the men played the best football they have shown the whole year. The line, which was thought weak, was impregnable to consistent gains. The ends, coping with players of great ability, were always playing the game with good football instincts. The backfield, unable to work smoothly together in the first half, and bothered by constant fumbling, was not able, until the second half, to show the power it possessed. The Amherst game last Saturday was the opportunity for the let-up expected between two championship contests. Playing indifferently in the first half, but rallying in the second in a fashion which could not be denied, Dartmouth again showed the possibilities of a great team. The fumbling is largely explainable, as it has been in almost every game, by the slippery condition of the field. Again every man on the team followed the ball well, and brought out once more one of the greatest assets the team has.

The more important outside football games scheduled for today are as follows: University of Pennsylvania vs. Michigan, at Philadelphia; Annapolis vs. Carlisle, at Annapolis.