HARVARD, 0; YALE, 0

Pumbles and Penalties Destroy Several Excellent Opportunities.

Neither Harvard nor Yale could score in their annual game at New Haven on Saturday afternoon, due to Harvard's costly mistakes and to Yale's powerful defence and superior generalship. Although the Harvard team was backed by the prestige of an unbroken series of victories this fall and was strong enough to make twice as many first downs as Yale in Saturday's game, yet Yale kept off defeat by an alertness which recovered every Harvard fumble occurring within scoring distance of Yale's goal.

In the first period both teams commenced a kicking campaign, with Felton, who played in the Harvard backfield for the first time, driving ale back by his longer punts. Through a muff of Howe's punt, which would have given Harvard the ball in Yale's territory, the University tam lost its only chance to score in this period.

During the second period, Harvard was twice within Yale's 35-yard line, but a 15-yard penalty in one instance and in the other an onside kick, which Yale recovered, prevented any scoring. Just before this penalty, Wendell had replaced Felton, and in five rushes Harvard had carried the ball from her 43-yard line to Yale's 34-yard line. Previous to the unsuccessful onside kick from Yale's 30-yard line, Harvard had made another long march of 60 yards from her 20-yard line. Harvard showed its real strength and versatility of its attack in this series of plays, for an onside kick was recovered by L. Smith for a 25-yard gain and a forward pass was also successful.

In the third period, Yale was never closer than 52 yards to Harvard's goal, while Harvard missed two excellent chances to score. From her 48-yard line, the University team carried the ball to Yale's 27-yard line, but lost it on a poor forward pass. Yale could not gain in three rushes and Harvard get the short kick on Yale's 38-yard line. After two rushes had advanced the ball five yards, Lewis, standing on the 34-yard line, tried a drop-kick, but it fell short and Yale got the ball.

In the first part of the fourth period, two more excellent chances to win the game were lost. From the centre of the field, Harvard rushed to Yale's centre of the field, Harvard rushed to Yale's 35-yard line, only to be held. Wigglesworth's onside kick was recovered by Howe on Yale's 5-yard line and he immediately kicked out of danger. Receiving the ball on the 30-yard line, Harvard again commenced rushing it toward Yale's goal. Three plays advanced the ball 14-yards and Corbett, after making it first down, fumbled and the last and best opportunity to score was lost. Yale at once kicked out of danger, and resorting to a kicking game, gradually drove Harvard back. Just before time was called, Daly tried a drop-kick from the 35-yard line, but it went wide, and after the next play the game was over.

The Game in General.

The game as a whole was hard fought throughout, and both teams played clean but rough football. Contrary to expectation, very little new football was displayed, Yale not once attempting a forward pass or an onside kick, while Harvard with two exceptions was unsuccessful with the open play. For Harvard Wendell showed up far ahead of any of his team-mates. In addition to being the most consistent ground-gainer and the hardest man on the field to stop, he was ever alert on the defence and backed up the line in faultless fashion. Except for his fumbling Corbett played his usual dashing game, and on tackle plays showed great ability to break through the opposing line. Leslie, who played for the first time since the Williams game, was strong on the defence and seemed quick in sizing up Yale plays. Felton was put in the backfield at the last moment to force Yale back by punting, and his work in this department was very effective, his seven punts in the first period averaging over 40-yards each. Of the substitute backs Campbell and Morrison, the latter made the longer gains and his defensive work was excellent. At quarterback Wigglesworth did not show as good generalship as he has in former games and he made some had fumbles. Although most of his forward passes were over the heads of the ends, he executed one in the last period to Lewis which gained 23 yards. As Gardner and Potter were only in for a sort time, little can be said of their work, except that Potter made one successful forward pass. Both Smith and Lewis, although having remarkable players for their opponents, showed good, form, and were neither fooled nor drawn in by Yale's interference. McKay played consistently and steadily, and deserves credit for breaking up many of Yale's plays. In addition to being impregnable on the defence, Fisher and Minot opened up large holes for the runner and several times broke through when the play was directed against them. Perkins, though not brilliant, played a dependable defensive game; his passes, however, were low on several occasions. P. D. Smith, who replaced him in the last period, materially strengthened the defence.

Kilpatrick a Remarkable End.

For Yale, Kilpatrick was distinctly the individual star, although Daly, Field and Kistler played brilliant games. Kilpatrick, who combines speed and weight, was always the first man down under punts, and his tackling was very hard and sure. He was always alert, followed the ball closely, and was in every play. Field shone in defensive work, and smothered practically every play that broke through the primary defence. The offensive playing of Kistler was accurate and several times he got through the line, running directly behind Field, his interference. Captain Daly showed speed on end runs and was keen to size up the opposing plays. In addition to showing excellent generalship at quarterback, Howe punted consistently and was accurate in handling kicks. All the Yale linemen played hard defensive games, but the work of Scully showed up the best. He was particularly active, breaking through often, and several of Harvard's losses were due to his aggressiveness. Yale's best ground-gainer was a wing shift, with Scully leading the interference.

Statistics of Play.

In the first period, Harvard rushed 9 times for 53 yards, and Yale in 8 rushes made 27 yards and lost 7. Harvard punted 7 times for 314 yards, while Yale punted 8 times for 265 yards; one of these was run back 29 yards and on another the runner lost 6 yards. An onside kick by each team went outside, and Yale once recovered the ball on a fumbled punt. During the second period, in 17 rushes Harvard gained 94 yards and lost 8. The ball was lost once on a fumble and once on a forward pass. Another forward pass was incomplete, and a third one gained 8 yards. Yale only made 25 yards; 3 of these were onside kicks, one of which Harvard recovered. Yale kicked 5 times for 186 yards. In the third period Harvard rushed 9 times for gains of 26 yards and one loss of 2; once the ball was lost on a for ward pass. In 15 rushes Yale made 69 yards and lost 4, losing the ball once on a fumble. Harvard punted twice for 113 yards, Yale in 3 kicks made 78 yards. During the fourth period Harvard rushed 19 times for gains of 77 yards and losses of 27; once the ball was lost on a fumble and once given up on downs. In 4 rushes Yale made 12 yards and lost 7. Harvard kicked 4 times and made 95 yards; one going outside and 2 being onside kicks. Yale kicked 5 times for 163 yards one kick going outside. In the entire game Harvard rushed the ball 54 times for gains of 250 yards and losses of 37. Yale rushed 31 times for gains of 133 yards and losses of 18. In 17 kicks, Harvard's net gains were 519 yards and Yale's 21 kicks were for a net gain of 612 yards. Harvard was penalized 55 yards and Yale only lost 35 yards in this manner.

The game in Detail.

Captain Withington won the toss and chose the north goal. Yale kicked off to the 11-yard line and Felton ran it back 10 yards. Five yards were made through centre and then Felton punted to Howe, who ran the kick back 10 yards to the middle of the field. When he was tackled he fumbled, but Daly recovered the ball. No gain was made on an end run, so Howe punted to Corbett, who ran back 30 yards to midfield. On a line play by Leslie Harvard made first down, but on the next play Felton punted over the goal-line and Yale brought the ball out to the 25-yard line. After a line play was thrown for a loss, Howe punted to Wigglesworth, who was thrown by Brooks in the middle of the field. Corbett made first down on a tackle play. As the next play only gained 3 yards, Felton punted to Yale's 8-yard line. On the next play, Howe punted to Wiggles-worth, who fumbled and Brooks recovered the ball on Yale's 45-yard line. After two plays had only netted 9 yards, Howe kicked, and Wigglesworth was downed on his 42-yard line. Leslie advanced the ball but 4 yards on the next play, and Felton made a beautiful 46-yard punt to Yale's 18-yard line. Yale was penalized 15 yards and from behind his goal-line Howe punted to midfield. A penalty on Harvard put her back to her 38-yard line, and Felton again kicked to Daly, who made 15 yards, putting the ball on his 39-yard line. After an exchange of punts, Harvard had the ball on her 40-yard line and a series of line plays by Corbett and Leslie carried the ball to midfield. For the second time in this period Felton punted across the goal-line and Yale rushed from the 25-yard line. On the second play Yale punted to Harvard's 44-yard line and after a 5-yard gain the period ended.

Second Period.

Harvard immediately punted at the opening of the second period and on the next play the kick was returned to Wigglesworth on his 45-yard line. On a fast end run Corbett made 20 yards before he fumbled. Yale recovered the ball on her own 45-yard line. Field made 11 yards on the next play, but the ball was called back as a 15-yard penalty for holding was imposed. Daly, on the next play, however, made first down by a pretty 20-yard run. Yale then fumbled and it was Harvard's ball on her 46-yard line. Wendell took Felton's place and Harvard started her rushing game. With Wendell carrying the ball most of the time, Harvard made two first downs and rushed to Yale's 34-yard line, where a 15-yard penalty for holding forced them to kick to Howe, who was downed by Lewis after a 5-yard gain on Yale's 17-yard line. Yale punted at once to Wigglesworth on his 47-yard line, and after a line play had gained nothing, a forward pass was attempted, but Field recovered the ball for Yale at midfield. Howe kicked on the first play to Corbett, who was tackled on his 20-yard line. From here by a splendid attack, Harvard took the ball to Yale's 28-yard line, where an onside kick was attempted, which Field recovered on his 6-yard line. During this series of plays, Wendell and Corbett each made long gains kick for a 24-yard gain. Potter replaced Wigglesworth and on the play made a forward pass to L. D. Smith which netted only 6 yards. From the 6-yard line Howe, standing behind his goal-line, punted to his 45-yard line to Potter, who made 5 yards. During the rest of the first half an exchange of punts took place, and when time was called it was Yale's ball on her 40-yard line.

Second Half.

The second half opened with Morrison in Leslie's place and Wigglesworth back at quarter. Wendell ran back the kick-off 22 yards to the 33-yard line and after the next play, Harvard punted to Howe, who was downed on his 23-yard line by Smith after running back 7 yards. On good line plunging by Daly, Kistler and Field, Yale carried the ball just across the middle of the field, where Daly fumbled. Harvard punted at once and during the rest of the period Yale never had the ball in Harvard's territory. After Field had made first down on his 35-yard line, Howe punted across midfield to Wendell who ran to Yale's 44-yard line before being downed. After first down was made, Wigglesworth attempted a forward pass and the ball was intercepted by Howe on his 15-yard line. Two plays gained nothing and Howe punted to Corbett on Yale's 36-yard line. Here Campbell replaced Corbett and on the second play. Lewis tried a drop kick from the 34-yard line. This tell shot and Howe ran back to his 22-yard line. Yale made first down, but after that could not gain, so Howe kicked to Wigglesworth, who ran to midfield. A five-yard penalty was imposed on Harvard just before the time was called.

Fourth Period.

At the beginning of the fourth period, Corbett took Campbell's place. After the ball had been rushed from midfield to Yale's 36-yard line, Harvard kicked to Yale's 5-yard line. One the next play Howe kicked out of bounds on the 30-yard line, thus preventing Harvard from making a fair catch. From here Wendell's excellent line plunging carried the ball to Yale's 16-yard line. On the next play, on the 14-yard line, Corbett fumbled, Daly recovering the ball for Yale. Howe immediately kicked and for the rest of the game Yale forced the play back towards Harvard's goal and only once again did Harvard have the ball in Yale's territory. After Howe had kicked from the goal-line, Harvard could not gain, and Wigglesworth was thrown for a loss by Kilpatrick when he tried a forward pass. From her 48-yard line Yale kicked to Wigglesworth, and on the second play he made an excellent forward pass to Lewis which gained 25 yards. After two rushes had only made 3 yards, Minot punted to Howe, who was downed on his 32-yard line. P. Smith here replaced Perkins at centre. A series of punts and an unsuccessful onside kick gave Harvard the ball on her 24-yard line. Wigglesworth again tried a forward pass, but was thrown for a loss before he could make it. Gardner then took his place and Minot punted to Howe, who was downed on Harvard's 35-yard line. On the next play Daly tried a drop-kick, but it missed the bar by several yards, and after Harvard had rushed once from the 25-yard line, the game was over.

The summary:

HARVARD.  YALE.Lewis, l.e.  r.e., Brooks. VaughnMcKay, l.t.  r.t., PaulMinot, l.g.  r.g., McDevittPerkins, P. D. Smith c.  c., MorrisFisher, r.g.  l.g., Fuller, ChildsWithington. r.f.  l.t., ScullyL. Smith, r.e.  l.e., KilpatrickWigglesworth, Potter, Gardner q.b.  q.b., HoweCorbett, Campbell, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Field, CoreyFelton. Wendell, r. h. b.  l.h.b. DalyLeslie, Morrison, f.b.  f.b., Kistle