CLASS FOOTBALL

Practice for the class football teams is announced to start this afternoon, and in the course of two or three weeks the games for the class championship will be played. A new regulation has been put in force this year whereby the Freshman class will be represented by its second eleven. The purpose of this change is to make the competition fairer, for it was shown in both 1908 and 1909 that the Freshman team is far more than a match for the newly formed upper-class elevens.

There are in favor of this sport the reasons which create support for all class athletics. To begins with, an excellent means for taking regular exercise is provided; secondly, numerals will be awarded to the winning team; and lastly, class rivalry demands a team which can at least make a good showing.

The third reason should appeal especially to Seniors. Never has the class of 1911 won the football championship, either of whole College or of the three upper classes. This indeed is not an enviable record, especially so as the Seniors are not backward in supplying material for the University teams. There are in the class athletes who can form a winning team if they will only come out and practice faithfully. The Seniors should begin work at once to win for 1911 at least one football championship.