Co-operative's Flood Damages Paid

The Harvard Co-operative Society has received from the Metropolitan Water Board a cheque for the sum of $13,333.84 in settlement of the Society's claim for damages to its building and stock as the result of the bursting of a water main in Harvard square on the evening of December 24th last. In addition to this amount the Co-operative is given the proceeds from the sale of all the damaged stock which is now being disposed of by a Boston salvage concern. The officers of the Co-operative Society greatly appreciate the promptness and fairness shown by the Metropolitan Water Board in adjusting this loss, and all those who had to do with the settlement were much impressed with the skill and courtesy of the Board's officials.

With the exception of a few French texts which could not be replaced in time for sale at the opening of the second half-year none of the damaged stock is to be placed on sale in Cambridge. All of it has been turned over to a salvage company for disposal in Boston.

The business of the Co-operative Society to the close of the week ending January 22 amounted to $191,612.36, as compared with $166,581.45 at the corresponding date a year ago, or an increase of $25,030.91 in volume of sales during the past twelve months.