Comparative Registration Statistics

A pamphlet recently published by Professor Rudolf Tombo, Jr., of Columbia University, gives an interesting comparison of registration statistics in twenty-eight leading American universities. These figures show considerable gains throughout the United States, although four universities, Iowa, Minnesota, New York, and Yale, show a loss as compared with 1908. During 1909 Columbia, Chicago, Wisconsin, California, Cornell, Ohio, and Pennsylvania made the greatest gains, in the order named.

According to the figures for 1909, the twenty-eight universities rank as follows: 1.  Columbia,  6132 2.  Harvard,  5558 3.  Chicago,  5487 4.  Michigan,  5259 5.  Cornell,  5028 6.  Pennsylvania,  4857 7.  Illinois,  4502 8.  Minnesota,  4351 9.  Wisconsin,  4245 10.  California,  4084 11.  New York University,  3834 12.  Nebraska,  3402 13.  Yale,  3276 14.  Syracuse,  3248 15.  Northwestern,  3197 16.  Ohio,  3012 17.  Missouri,  2589 18.  Texas,  2492 19.  Iowa,  2246 20.  Indiana,  2231 21.  Kansas,  2144 22.  Tulane,  1882 23.  Stanford,  1620 24.  Princeton,  1400 25.  Western Reserve,  1083 26.  Washington,  1003 27.  Virginia,  767 28.  Johns Hopkins,  710

With a few exceptions there have been general gains in the attendance of the male undergraduate academic departments, the most important increases being shown by Princeton, Nebraska, Stanford, and Kansas. The enrollment of undergraduate women also shows a satisfactory general increase; at Cornell and Syracuse the number of undergraduate women is larger than that of the men. Harvard continues to lead in the number of male academic students, being followed by Yale, Princeton, Michigan, Chicago, Wisconsin, Columbia, and Minnesota.

Thirteen of the medical schools and ten of the law schools exhibit a loss as against last year. The graduate schools have experienced an increase of 393 students, Harvard being the only one on the list to show a decrease of any moment. All of the schools of agriculture show a decided gain, the single exception being Minnesota, though this university still remains in the lead so far as attendance is concerned.

Two-thirds of the institutions experienced an increase in their summer sessions, the most significant gains being made by Columbia and Chicago.

Princeton University shows an increase of 86 students over last year, although the present enrollment is smaller than that of 1903. The Princeton Graduate School has increased by 43 students, while changes in the distribution of academic and scientific students render comparisons in those departments impossible.