Mr. Holcombe Reviews. Illustrated

By A. N. Holcombe .

It is a fortunate critic who has so pleasant a task as the reviewer of the March Illustrated. The articles are varied, the subjects are well chosen, the writers are interesting, and the food for thought abundant and substantial.

The issue opens with an article by Mr. Ricker of the Department of "Psychology on "Psychology and the Chauffeur." The writer points out the inadequacy of contemporary tests of the fitness of drivers of motor-vehicles, and the importance of the elimination of the unfit by some scientific process instead of by accident. His suggestion for a more effective and less costly method of elimination is ingenious, but not convincing. The test for the "slow reactionist" which the author sets up, will not disclose the possession or absence, of the capacity for forming quick and accurate judgments, the capacity commonly called presence of mind, which is certainly as important as spontaneity of reaction in the presence of danger. We wonder if Mr. Deane's essay in sarcasm, entitled "Bubbles," was inserted in the same issue as Mr. Ricker's article by chance or by design.

In a different vein are the articles on "Aeronautics at Harvard," by Mr. Brown, on "Lacrosse at Harvard," by the captain of the team, Mr. Alexander, and on "Commercial Harvard," by Mr. Henderson. In the latter, we find such suggestive items of information as the following: the total annual sum paid in salaries to professors, instructors, and assistants is $550,000, and the total sum paid to students in fellowships, scholarships, aids, and prizes is $134,000. Nowhere in the world is the promise of young life rated so highly in comparison with the performance of maturity, and, paradox though it may seem, that is one of the causes of the high achievements of maturity in America.

The "sensation" of the number, if I may be permitted that word, is, and probably was intended to be, Mr. Collier's attack on the lecture system. "The situation is very much as if physical culture instructors should devote all their attention to feeding their pupils on the best possible nourishment, and make no attempt to give the pupils exercise." The limitations of space forbid the reviewer to enter upon an extended discussion of this incisive and cogent criticism of the Harvard lecture system. It is unquestionably destined to receive the wide and careful attention which it merits.

Finally, the reviewer wishes to record his unqualified endorsement of the policy of printing one of the sermons preached in Appleton Chapel during the month preceding publication. Many College men give the impression that they dislike to be caught reading a sermon. Certainly few look for one in an illustrated magazine. Dr. Fitch's recent sermon on "Youth and Religion" made a deep impression on those who heard it, and if the Illustrated can tempt any non-church goers to the furtive perusal of such a sermon in the seclusion of their studies, it will be one more distinct contribution to the value of undergraduate journalism at Harvard.