Football Meeting Held Yesterday

At the meeting of football candidates held in the Trophy Room of the Union last evening Withington spoke briefly on the necessity of a large squad coming out for spring practice. It is highly important that all possible candidates turn up, for it is in the early practice that the captain and coaches form their opinion of the ability of the various men. Besides, the new rules must be tried out and put to actual test if we expect to accomplish anything under them. Withington said also, that he expected to hold meetings twice a week to discuss the rules and proposed plays and that these would be compulsory.

The first week of practice would be devoted to getting the men into condition, but in the two ensuing weeks, there would be a stiff try-out consisting of signal practice, scrimmages and so forth, in which especial attention would be given to practicing under the two systems of rules.

Burr also spoke, and emphasized the need of keeping in condition during the summer, and of trying to develop any kicking ability which a man may have.

After he finished, Withington asked each man to co-operate with him in getting the men on the field.