CONTRIBUTIONS FOR Y. M. C. A.

In another column a member of the swimming team questions the advisability of giving a tank to an outside institution when the University has none, and it is quite natural that a member of the disbanded team should see the matter only in that light. We must not, however, overlook the fact that the Cambridge Young Men's Christian Association is an institution, distributing education and athletic facilities where they would otherwise not be obtainable, and that it is always worth while to give to the cause of education. As we have noted before, a Harvard tank given in this way would be a strong link in the bonds of friendship and association which should closely unite Harvard and the city of Cambridge. On the other hand, when the University so sadly feels the need of a new tank, we can not help concurring with the author of the communication in the sentiment that "charity begins at home"; but in so far as contributing to the Cambridge tank does not interfere with the prospect of a new tank for the University, it is to be commended.