Dean Briggs's Review of Illustrated

The Illustrated Magazine was lifted by Mr. Hans von Kaltenborn to an important place among college papers, and the present Editorial Board are holding it there. The April number is substantial and earnest. Much of it lacks literary finish; some of it is crude; but nearly all of it has the great merit of serious purpose--which covers a multitude of rhetorical sins. The leading article, Professor Meyer's speech on War and Civilization, is a remarkable presentation of doctrine abhorrent to many, and a masterly eulogy of war. Mr. Henderson's Harvard in Cambridge Politics, though poorly written, is worth reading for its matter; it is also embellished by portraits of divers professors. Mr. Sheahan writes warmly against the doctrine that men are born equal or may be rendered equal by legislation, and maintains that despite "The Menace of Socialism," the government of the future "will be founded upon profound inequality." Mr. Lippmann follows with a defence of Socialism, scarcely less fervid. "That Socialism," says Mr. Sheahan, "should gain enthusiastic recruits from the field of literature and from the colleges is disgraceful." "Until we drop the scholastic method in politics," says Mr. Lippmann, "and substitute the method of induction, we shall continue to wallow in misunderstanding and futility." Both papers are of interest.

Mr. Garcelon's "Progress in Athletics" tells something of the complex problems that he is trying vigorously to solve, and of his ideals in the athletic education for the weak as well as for the strong; Mr. Kuttner comes after him with an exposition of the plans for reclaiming Soldiers, Field and with a plea for sacrificing in their behalf the luxuries now bestowed on University teams. After Mr. Kuttner comes Mr. Schoonmaker with a suggestion inspired by Dartmouth for securing a new gymnasium. As a frontispiece to these discussions of athletics are pictures of athletes in action and at rest. Captain Little appears in

"A station like the herald Mercury

New lighted on a heaven-kissing hill."

Mr. Garcelon and Mr. Kuttner express, each in his own way, a great athletic truth. "We want our teams to be well cared for," says Mr. Garcelon, "but ought not to carry that care to the point of absurdity. It is possible to judge of the mental and physical condition of the members of a team by the complaints which they make." "As to there being any truth," says Mr. Kuttner, "in the statement that expensive equipment makes a team win, I would say that any team that thinks so couldn't win under any circumstances."

In "Music or Vaudeville," Mr. Shohl calls for organized cooperation among the musical clubs.

"Side Lights" are of transient interest. Toward the close of the number everybody seems thirsty. A correspondent urges the restoration of the Yard pump even if Fresh Pond water has to be artfully substituted for the perilous spring water that lurks underground near Hollis. His letter is accompanied by a portrait of the old pump and an ode of President Roosevelt's College days, reprinted in its honor. Later the editor demands a fountain. Just what he says about, I cannot tell, since my proof stops short in the middle of a word, and the time vouchsafed by the Magazine to a reviewer precludes my getting the rest. Among the editorial articles not thus cut off, the most important urges the appointment of a committee to prevent congestion of evening lectures, concerts, readings, and plays. The writer may be interested to learn that there is such a committee at Radcliffe College, where if lectures are less numerous, plays are not. A brief reply to some points in Mr. Collier's attack on the lecture system is the only remaining contribution.

It will be seen that the Illustrated discusses living questions, and is not once blemished by pure literature.