PROBATION RULES

As the rules with regard to probation are generally and thoroughly misunderstood, thereby creating no too cordial feeling between the undergraduates and the College Office, it seems worth while to explain that the distinction of probation is conferred and recalled practically by the machinations of an unwritten rule, and not at the whim and fancy of the much-abused Administrative Board.

Briefly, the rule is this: that men are exempt from probation so long as they steadily maintain a standard throughout each year sufficient, were the examinations final, to promote them to the succeeding class. This is, for Freshmen, two Cs and one D; for Sophomores, a total of five Cs and two Ds; for Juniors, eight Cs and four Ds; and for Seniors, twelve Cs and five and one-half Ds; and for all, no matter what marks they have to their credit, a minimum of two Cs and one D.

The rule for release from probation is a little more complicated. It demands one C and one course passed more than is necessary to keep off probation, or to be promoted to the next class. In April, however, a higher standard is required, that is, one more C; for it has been found that men taken off probation after the April hour examinations are inclined to take a decided slump. Last spring it was found from statistics compiled by the Dean that 35 per cent. of the men who made the minimum requirements at the hour examinations and were taken off probation, failed in their final examinations, the number of failures of these men being greater than the number of failures among those who were kept on probation. Over half of the Freshmen taken off at the hours last spring were dropped after the final examinations. As a result of these disclosures, the requirement in April was increased to its present standard. This change certainly seems justified.