PRINCETON OUTCLASSED

Fast Skating and Team-Play Defeated Former Champions, 5 to 1.

The University hockey team defeated Princeton by the score of 5 to 1 in its second game in the Intercollegiate Hockey League series in a fast and exciting game at the Boston Arena on Saturday evening. The Princeton defence was weak and the University forwards had little difficulty in getting through it. Failure to pass at critical moments and much offside playing, however, spoiled several good chances to score. Aside from this, the work of the University forwards was good. They followed back, carried the puck well, and gave the defence excellent assistance, often overtaking the Princeton forwards before they had an opportunity to shoot. The defence was as strong as usual and kept the opposing attack well away from the goal. The Princeton men made vain attempts at team-work, but, with the exceptions of Kay and McKinney, could not skate fast enough to hold a lead over the University forwards. On the whole, the game was cleanly played, although men were put off several times for tripping and general rough work.

In the first period the play was slow and there was no scoring for about ten minutes. Then Seamans took the puck from a scrimmage near his own goal and skated down the rink, passing to Duncan just in time for him to score. A few minutes later Huntington by a very pretty piece of individual playing, skated the entire length of the ice, evaded the Princeton defence, and scored the second goal. Immediately after the face-off the University attack started again, and took the puck into a scrimmage in front of the Princeton goal, from which Duncan made the last score of the half. As time was called Huntington caged the puck again, but it was just too late to count.

Princeton came back strong in the second half and the play was much faster. Leslie scored first after about two minutes of play. Receiving the puck from a scrimmage in the middle of the rink, he carried it down to the Princeton goal and scored unaided. One minute later Hornblower did exactly the same thing, making Harvard's last goal. Toward the middle of the half Day, who had been substituted for Angell, scored Princeton's only goal on a hard shot from the side of the rink. The puck hit Chadwick's pads and caromed off into the net. The University team had several good chances to score after this but lost them by offside playing.

The summary: HARVARD.  PRINCETON. Leslie, Pierce, l.e.  r.e., Patterson Duncan, l.c.  r.c., Kay Hornblower, r.c.  l.c., McKinney Seamans, r.e.  l.e., Angell, Day Huntington, c.p.  c.p., Blair Foster, p.  p., Lee Chadwick, g.  g., Kalbfleisch, Marsh

Score--Harvard, 5; Princeton, 1. Goals--Duncan 2, Huntington, Leslie, Hornblower, Day. Referee--J. Norfolk, Boston' Arena. Umpire--G. W. Tingley. Timers--for Harvard, S. T. Hicks '10, Boston Hockey Club; for Princeton, Schroonmaker. Time--20-minute halves.