OPPORTUNITY AND THE FOREST SCHOOL

In view of the movement in favor of the conservation of our national resources, especially of our diminishing forests, the work of the School of Forestry acquires peculiar interest. It is gratifying to note that within the last year or two the School has made great strides. With its forest at Petersham and its excellent laboratory, its equipment compares favorably with that of any other forestry school in the country.

It is reasonable to suppose that in the near future the attendance will be largely increased. This is certain to happen if the opportunity which the course in forestry affords becomes generally known. The United States government ordinarily employs every graduate who passes the civil service examination. In addition, positions of various natures are supplied during the summer vacation between the first and second years of the course to all students who may desire them.

Beside providing a sure means of entry into the government service, the School of Forestry opens a way into the lumber business. So highly do the lumber interests of Massachusetts regard the School that they have made possible two chairs for assistant professors.

In these days of intense competition and overcrowded professions, the fact is not without significance that the course in forestry offers a man an opportunity to realize at once a respectable monetary return on his educational investment.