BASEBALL COACH APPOINTED

Dr. F. J. Sexton, of Brown, Has Accepted Position for Three Years.

Dr. F. J. Sexton, Brown '93, has been appointed coach of the University baseball team for 1911 and the two following seasons at least. The choice was unanimous. Dr. Sexton will take charge of the squad at once and will superintend the work from the time the candidates come out for cage work until after the deciding Yale game. Although he will be in charge of the squad, Dr. Sexton will work in connection with the baseball committee.

Dr. Sexton has had all the experience which his present position demands and has made for himself a remarkable record both in and since leaving college. He played four years at Brown being captain in '92 and '93. He was a pitcher at college but also played second base and centre field. In 1892, when he was captain, coach and pitcher of the team, Brown defeated Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Pennsylvania, inside of two weeks.

After leaving college Dr. Sexton played baseball with various professional and other teams, including the Boston Nationals. In 1895 and 1896 he coached Michigan, and in both years turned out championship teams. For the last seven years Dr. Sexton has coached Brown with remarkable success. In 1907 all of the 20 games on the schedule were victories. Among the remarkable pitchers that Dr. Sexton developed at Brown are Lynch, Tift, Hatch, and Nourse.