The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Death of Professor A. S. Hill '53

Adams Sherman Hill '53, LL.D., Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory from 1876 to 1904, and Professor Emeritus since that date, died at his home in Boston on December 25, at the age of 77. Funeral services were held in Appleton Chapel last Wednesday morning, Professor E. C. Moore officiating. President Lowell, President Eliot, Dean Briggs '75, Dean Hurlburt '87, Dr. H. P. Walcott '58, and Professor G. P. Baker '87, Professor W. G. Farlow '66, Professor Bliss Perry, Professor F. N. Robinson '91, and Professor Trowbridge s'65 were the honorary pall-bearers.

Professor Hill graduated from the Law School in 1855 and was engaged in business as a law reporter, correspondent and editor in New York, Washington and Chicago until 1868. Four years later he became an assistant professor of rhetoric. In 1876 he was made Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, a position he held until 1904, when he retired and was created Boylston Professor Emeritus. Professor Hill is widely known as the author of "Principles of Rhetoric," "Our English," "Foundations of Rhetoric," and "Beginnings of Rhetoric and Composition."