TRACK MEETING LAST NIGHT

Speeches by Foster, P. Withington '10 and J. W. Hallowell '01.

The annual meeting of the candidates for the University and Freshman track teams was held in the Union last night, about 125 men reporting. Captain R. C. Foster '11 outlined the work of the winter season, saying that although the relay teams would have the hardest work, there would be an excellent opportunity for individuals to get into training. Field-event men, in particular, he urged to come out in order to learn proper form before beginning the more rigorous work of the spring season. The Freshman relay team will begin practice immediately, and all men with the slightest ability ought to report.

J. W. Hallowell '01, captain of the 1901 championship track team, emphasized the importance of second-string men. In 1901 the team was defeated by Yale in the dual meet, owing to the absence of individual stars. Yet that team won the intercollegiate games by an overwhelming score. This was entirely due to the strong showing of the second-string men. Hallowell concluded by saying that all "H" men should regard it as a great privilege to represent the University, and dwelt upon the advantages of the new Varsity Club building.

P. Withington '10 then described the purpose of the class in general athletics to be conducted by Mr. Garcelon L.'95 and himself during the winter. The class, which was started last year, is intended for men who feel that they are not good enough to go out for any team. Its object is to teach athletics, and develop future material for the teams.

At the conclusion of the meeting Captain Foster said that it is every candidate's duty to keep off probation. It is just as bad to break training mentally as physically.