Changes in Summer School Courses

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences has decided to make the following changes in the curriculum of the Summer School to take effect this year. No courses will be given in Botany or Greek, and the following courses in other departments will also be dropped: Education S5, English S60, Geology S6, Geology S20, Music S5, History S4, Mathematics SD, Mathematics S3, and all research courses in Mathematics, Physics SC, Physics SD, Public Speaking S7, Public Speaking S9, and Public Speaking S12.

The following courses have been added: Fine Arts S5,--Dr. A. Pope (to be given in London); Fine Arts S7,--Dr. D. W. Ross; Fine Arts S9,--Dr. C. R. Post; Fine Arts S20b,--Dr. D. W. Ross and Mr. M. Mower; French S4,--Mr. H. D. Gaylord; German S4,--Mr. A. H. Herrick; Mathematics SA,--Dr. E. H. Wilkins.

Mr. Meyer Bloomfield '01, Director of the Vocation Bureau will give a course in "Vocational Guidance" which may not be counted toward a degree by students of Harvard College.

Courses in elementary Spanish, elementary Italian, and Municipal Government will also be given.

The only courses which may be taken to count toward a degree by students of the University who are deficient are French S4, corresponding to second year French; German S4, corresponding to second year German and Mathematics SA, Plane Trigonometry. Other courses may be counted toward a degree by students who are not deficient.

The departments of History, Government, and Economics have removed the condition requiring students to obtain the grade B in Summer School courses in order to have them count toward a degree.

This summer eleven less courses will be given than last summer. A much greater proportion of instructors, however, will be taken from among the regular staff of the University than in any previous year.

Fine Arts S5, the course which will be given in London by Dr. A. Pope will be on the subject of "Turner and the Landscape Painters of his Time." This course will be a distinct innovation in the teaching of Fine Arts. It will begin on Wednesday, July 5, and end on Tuesday, August 15, and will be open to women as well as men.

Dr. Pope will conduct the course by means of lectures, conferences, visits to galleries and reports. The chief aim will be a study of the works of Turner in the galleries in and near London, together with a study of his environment and development, in order to learn as much as possible of the mental processes involved in the production of great imaginative works of art. The many thousands of drawings, sketches, and paintings now in the new Turner wing of the Tate Gallery, make the study of Turner far more comprehensive than is possible in the case of any other of the greater masters of painting. Besides the collections in the Tate Gallery, Turner has many important works in the National Gallery, the Kensington Museum, the British Museum, and in the collections of Oxford and Cambridge uni- versities, which will be accessible for study in this course.

It is planned, furthermore, to take one day each week for some study of other paintings in the chief galleries, the course thus including a brief survey of the main characteristics of the principal European schools of painting