Pres. Lowell on New Requirements

The first session of the annual meeting of the New England Association of Colleges and Preparatory Schools was held in New Lecture Hall yesterday afternoon and was largely attended. Rev. Dr. H. G. Buehler, president of the association, presided at the meeting.

The general subject under discussion was: "New Methods of Admission to College."

President Lowell opened the meeting with an explanation of the "New Harvard Plan" of admission. He showed that this new system will bring Harvard into contact with a wider range of preparatory schools than ever before. Its object is not to get a great many men, but the best ones from all over the country.

By the new plan the College asks the school for a certificate based on the amount of work the student has done, but it retains the right of testing the quality of the work itself. The candidate is only examined in certain fundamental subjects as English, Latin, or German, yet he must pass all his examinations in these subjects.

By statistics, President Lowell showed that, although this system has only been on trial since last June, many new states are represented in the University enrollment for the first time, and that it has already accomplished more than could have been reasonably expected.

At the evening meeting President Eliot spoke on the diversified aspects of the problem of education. He emphasized the fact that, on account of the diversity in character of the people of this country, our system cannot be uniform.