Plans for Fencing

The University fencing squad will be called out this afternoon for the first time this year. A large proportion of those who fenced in College last year are back again, and several new men have already signified their intention of joining the squad, so that the prospect for the year is bright. The hours for fencing are between 4 and 6.30 o'clock on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons of each week. Mr. J. Lesiabay has been re-engaged by the Athletic Association to act as coach. Mr. Lesiabay plans to give each man ten or fifteen minutes individual instruction, and then the candidates will meet in single matches. The Athletic Association will charge each man $10 to cover the cost of the year's instruction. Tickets at that price are now on sale at Leavitt & Peirce's and at the fencing room in the Gymnasium, men who have never fenced, and who wish to know something of the sport before enrolling, may take lessons until October 21 without having tickets

Later in the year a team will be picked to represent the University in several meets which will be held with outside colleges. The final meet of the season is that of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association, made up of Annapolis, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Yale, and West Point, and consists of a two days' tournament in New York about April 1. It is probable that the personnel of the team will be varied considerable in the earlier meets, and that the men who will finally represent the University in the intercollegiate meet in New York will not be chosen much in advance of that meet.