PROFESSOR DIEHL'S LECTURE

Will Deliver First of Series in French in Emerson D at 4.30.

Professor Charles Diehl, exchange professor from the Sarbonne, will deliver his first lecture in Emerson D. this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. The two half-courses which he will give during the first half-year are History 38 and History 52. All Professor Diehl's lectures will be delivered in French. History 52 is open to the public and will be illustrated by the stereopticon.

Besides being a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor, Professor Diehl is a licentiate in history and an LL.D. From 1891 to 1885, he taught successively at the French School in Rome, and in Athens. Since then he has devoted himself entirely to writing books on that period of history between the Christian era and the Middle Ages. His high position as a historian is not only due to his ability as a chronicler of events, but because of the sympathetic and picturesque way in which he treats his subject.

Professor Diehl has published a large number of books on Byzantine history. The best known of these is his latest book, "Manuel d'art Byzantine," which traces the development of the art of the Byzantine empire as a whole, and forms the foundation of his public lectures here.