FIELDS OF STUDY.

The table published this morning gives some interesting figures upon the way in which the members of the class of 1914 have mapped out their plans of study for three years' work according to the new grouping requirements put in force last year. Concentration in the field of History, Government and Economics attracted 45 per cent, of the class, while 30 per cent, is specializing in Languages, Literature, Art and Music. While only two per cent of the class has elected to do major work in Philosophy and Mathematics, it is the group in which more than in any other, men have planned to take two or three of their distributed courses.

It will be very interesting to compare these figures as they are published from year to year to see any variations of the strength with which the four groups appeal to succeeding classes. As 1914 is the first class to map out its entire plan at the end of the first year we have this year no previous records available. It is not surprising that more men should choose Economics as their special field, in view of the close connection which the information and training obtained bears upon business activity which so many men will enter after college. The figures give a very fair idea of the relative interest that the present undergraduate body has in the various opportunities of study at Harvard.