THE UNION LECTURES.

The list of men who have already agreed to come to Cambridge and speak in the Union forecasts a year of frequent and interesting lectures. Perhaps no task connected with the management of the Union is more baffling than to prevail upon men with a national reputation--and therefore busy men--to tie themselves down to a date.

In the case of many students who are doubtful about joining the Union, the deciding factor is often the probability of excellent speakers. It is very rare that these lecturers can be announced early enough in the year to turn t his factor from a probability into a certainty. It must not be interpreted that there would not be a source of just disappointment if the year passed by with lectures from only those men announced this morning. The strength of the list, however, at this early date leads to the belief that more men of the same calibre will be secured as the year goes on. It is certainly a rare opportunity to hear our Ambassador from Great Britain, and it should be a source of general gratification that a man so greatly admired and so widely respected, should be the first speaker of the year.