PERCY MACKAYE IN UNION

LECTURE ON "OPPORTUNITIES IN THE THEATRE" AT 8.15.

Percy MacKaye '97, the eminent dramatist, will speak on "University Opportunities in the Theatre" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8.15 o'clock. This lecture, and all future lectures which are to be delivered in the Union this year, will be open to members only.

Mr. MacKaye began his career as a dramatist in 1904, and soon gained great distinction. His first play, "The Canterbury Pilgrims", is one of his best, and was acted in the open air by the Coburn Players at Harvard and at a large number of other universities. In 1905, he published a tragedy entitled "Fenris the Wolf", and a year later "Jeanne d'Arc", which was produced by E. H. Southern and Julia Marlowe in both America and England. His next important works were "The Scarecrow" and "Mater", both written in 1908, the latter of which was put on the stage in New York and San Francisco by Henry Miller. In addition to these, he has written a number of minor odes and poems.

Although Mr. MacKaye has devoted himself principally to literary work, he has given a number of lectures from time to time at both eastern and western colleges on the American drama. He is a member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters, and an honorary member of the Phi Beta Kappa at Harvard.