LET THE STUDENT COUNCIL MANAGE INTRA-COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS.

At the time when the captain of a University athletic team is most deeply absorbed with his duties of developing a successful team, there falls upon him the organization of all the minor teams in that sport that are to play against each other within the College. At the time when he has the most responsibility, and yet, to keep himself in the best physical condition ought to have the least, he must make the plans for all the intra-college games. Surely there is nothing that binds the class football series to the University team so closely, that the responsibility for both should fall upon the same man. The CRIMSON recommends that a special committee of the Student Council take over the management of all the scrub athletics that are organized each year, such as class football, scrub hockey, Leiter Cup baseball, scrub lacrosse, tennis tournaments, and the like.

The committee of the Council to take over the responsibility, it is suggested, might be formed of the four major sports captains and two or three other men, not necessarily athletes, who should do most of the work. At first glance the presence of the four captains on this committee might appear to multiply indefinitely their work instead of lessening it. Yet the captain of the University team is obviously the person to appoint scrub captains if such are to be appointed, and if he should find time and definitely want to supervise the work of the scrub teams, he should certainly be in a position to do so. Yet the greatest part of the work connected with scrub athletics is a weight upon the captain's shoulders and can be given over to those members of the committee not already overburdened. The University captains should have very little to do except approve of the acts of their associates.

The adoption of such a plan would give to the Student Council an additional field of activity, it should relieve the University captains of a good deal of unnecessary drudgery, and should prevent the frequent slips in the management of scrub athletics due to the excessive responsibility laid upon their shoulders.