FOOTBALL AT YALE

Coaches Hard at Work for Harvard Game.--Whole Squad in Good Condition.--Individual Criticism.

Only one more day of hard practice remains for the Yale 1911 football squad before it leaves New Haven on Friday. Since Saturday the coaches have worked hard to put the men in the best possible shape for the Harvard game and it is expected that the squad will be able to use its whole strength against the Cambridge eleven. The policy of the coaches earlier in the season was to smash the players at each other almost every afternoon, but many serious injuries resulted and although this system hardened the players, the authorities are taking no more chances at this late date. Since Shevlin came on from the West two weeks ago the chief emphasis has been laid on perfecting the team in the plays which he brought, and on which Walter Camp has been at work for the past week.

In no other year has there probably been so much interest among graduates as there has this year. There have not been so many at Yale field perhaps, but they have sent suggestions which have helped in building up the team. Only one standby has not been here. That is Hinkey, who could not get away to come East from Kansas this year. Harry Williams, coach of Minnesota, who for a number of years took only the interest of the average spectator in Yale football affairs, being so occupied with the development of the Minnesota team, this year held a long conference with Shevlin before that coach started East and some of the plays that the team is now trying out are the creatures of Williams's experience at Minnesota, which are freely offered to the Yale team. They have been adapted to eastern style of play in most cases, but the spectators at the game on Saturday are pretty sure to see some western football played by Yale.

The backfield is in a most peculiar position this year, and not in recent years in Yale football has there been such uncertainty concerning it.

The situation is said to have been the subject of a difference of opinion among the coaches, though the difference has been of a most friendly nature. The two sets of backs are Camp, Freeman and Dunn, and Spalding, Reilly and Andersen. By both sides Philbin, who played fullback in all the early games of the college year, is relegated to the second team. Those who favor the Camp Freeman and Dunn combination urge the punting ability of Camp, which is above that of any one in recent years, except Coy, and the plunging of Freeman and Dunn. It is really an old-fashioned football combination. Those who favor the other set of backs rely more on the open play; they use Spalding for the plunges Reilly for the secondary defence and Andersen for plunges and runs. In this set Captain Howe would do most of the punting, though Andersen is also a good punter.

Spalding has not been used much of late because of a muscle bruise, but he will be in the line-up against Harvard, and will probably start the game. All six of the backs will probably get in, no matter which set starts the game, Chances seem to favor Spalding, Reilly and Andersen, for, with other things equal, seniors would be given the preference, and it is the last year for Andersen and Reilly, both of whom are in the Sheffield Scientific School.

Captain Howe, of course, will play quarterback, and, unless injured, will probably play through the whole of the game. His varied style of play, his all round personal ability, including his drop-kicking, his punting and his own runs, put him far above any quarterback here in recent years, and his nearest rival is T. A. D. Jones of Bigelow's team. But Jones had really only one great year, his last, while Howe has been the Yale premier quarterback for three years.

In the final game Howe will probably take the forward pass, as he is surer than the ends. This will cause a double pass unless the ball is snapped to some other man behind the line.

The line is nearly settled for the Harvard game, much more so than the positions behind. There is no question as to Ketcham playing centre. He is one of the hardest fighting centres Yale has had, but has been coached to such an extent that he will probably cost the team no penalties in the last game.

The guards are also certain. In fact, with the exception of Howe, McDevitt is the most certain man on the team and is a great guard. Francis is doing well in the other position. Scully is sure of one tackle position, but there is question as to whether Paul will play a long time on Saturday. The man for the other tackle position will probably be Gallauer, who started the season at end. He looks to the coaches like one of the best tackles. Perry will also be in the game for a few minutes.

Bomeisler is sure of being one of the ends in the game against Harvard. He has developed wonderfully since he has been able to play with the squad. He is very fast and is down under a punt better than any other end on the field. He can even follow Camp's long-distance punting.