Series of Ten Concerts

A series of ten operatic concerts will be given by leading singers of the Boston Opera Company in Sanders Theatre this winter during January, February and March. Professor W. R. Spalding '87 and Mr. E. B. Hill '94 will give lectures during the concerts on the significance and historical relationship of the selections rendered. These concerts were organized by Professor Spalding and Mr. Alexander Kahn, concert manager of the Boston Opera Company, and have the support of many Harvard graduates who are on the board of directors of the Boston Opera House. Their object is to give members of the University the opportunity to hear well-known operas sung by some of the best singers, and to educate them in the appreciation of good music.

Selections from different operas will be sung at the concerts, illustrating the development of the opera from the 17th century to the present day. Beginning with Italian composers such as Monteverda and Scarlotti, selections will be rendered next from Lully and Rameau, and German operas by Gluck, Mozart, Von Weber, and others, down to the works of modern composers such as Wagner, Strauss, Puccini, and Verdi. Among the prominent opera singers who will probably take part, are Constantine, Bernice Fisher, Maria Gay, Zenatello, Kaphek Mardones, Tavecchia, and Slezak.

The dates of the concerts will be announced later. Tickets will be $3 each for members of the University, and $4 for others.